Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

New vette owner and some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New vette owner and some questions

I bought a 99 FRC last week and its a great car drove it home 400 miles with no problems and it was the first time I even have drove a vette.Its was fun but did get cought in heavy rain most of the way but still no problems. I have a bunch of questions most are simple.First off I noticed a small tranny leak about the size of a quarter after I drive and park it overnight,I guess it s the tranny its at the rear end in the center of the car.Is this a common problem on 6 speeds.My car came with an extended warranty should I take it to the dealer,$ 100.00 deductable.I think its a gasket.The car has 36,000 miles on it and is super clean.Also the column lock problem has not been touched.I also noticed at the bottom of the front windsheild the rubber molding is starting to come out of the plastic cover in the center area.Not a real big problem but just curious if it is a common problem. I cant stand the idea of dropping it off and leaving it alone.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tranny leak is pretty common, get the column lock bypass kit and do it yourself. Also there is an FRC specific forum on www.Z06vette.com and alot of good information on the www.corvetteforum.com. Try using there search function. You will find alot of you answers there...And enjoy your new car..
Old 06-05-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got that lower windshield rubber peice loose one mine too but NO problems w/ leaky fluid, I would jack it up and take a look for yourself to find out where its coming from...
Old 06-06-2005, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

Take it to a reputable dealership. You have a warranty. Don't be a hero. You will waste a lot more time, money, and energy trying to fix those parts.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

There is one of the largest corvette dealers in the world close to me so I will give them a call about the leak,they should know more then most ! Can you somehow program the cooling fans to come on sooner.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brianss1
There is one of the largest corvette dealers in the world close to me so I will give them a call about the leak,they should know more then most ! Can you somehow program the cooling fans to come on sooner.
Yes, with LS1 edit you can set the fans to come on much sooner, or same with one of the handheld programmers like the Hypertech (although you're better off just getting it dyno tuned by someone with LS1 edit)

I had mine dyno tuned and my fans are set to come on much sooner than stock. Even though I've still got the stock thermostat, my coolant temp never goes above 194F now.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

The rear leak is probably a rear half shaft seal, that has been known to leak and should be fixed under warranty.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brianss1

HP Tuners and a thermostat
Old 06-17-2005, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

I had that same problem. It was a gasket between the transmission and differential.

Mike

Quick Reply: New vette owner and some questions