C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

2001 C5 Driveline vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 C5 Driveline vibration

Hi all,

I recently bought a 2001 C5 with an automatic transmission. I have noticed an excessive vibration coming from what seems like the transmission area. Regardless of whether the car is moving or sitting still in park, if I rev the engine to around 2-3k rpm and hold it, the car will vibrate badly. If I am cruising down the freeway and the rpm are 2,000 or more I can feel the vibration, but it seems more noticeable at the bottom point of undulations (when the suspension is most compressed). If I put the transmission in 1st gear and drive it at an rpm of 2k or more, same thing....bad vibration.

Interesting point is that it does not seem to vibrate noticeably under acceleration or deceleration...only when the engine is being held at a constant rpm and more noticeably when the suspension compresses for slight road undulations.

Has anyone experienced something like this. Seems like it could be a tranny mount or maybe a coupler in the driveline. Am I correct in assuming that the "drivesaft" (forgive my generic terminolgy) turns even when the car is not moving because the transmission is in the rear and the torque converter is in the front??

Not sure if it's related, but I can smell gear oil too...but no noticeable leaks.

Thanks so much!
Old 06-11-2005, 04:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many miles? you are correct that once started, entire driveline rotates through the converter.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has 58,000 miles. Thank you.

Originally Posted by smask04C5
how many miles? you are correct that once started, entire driveline rotates through the converter.

Quick Reply: 2001 C5 Driveline vibration