Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C4 question............

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 04:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 question............

yea, this is more of a c5/newer forum deal going on, but i was fiddling with the idea of buying a used TPI vette since they are so cheap now and building a nice daily driver/weekend warrior. Model years would probably be around 86-90 though I'd prefer a 89 with a six speed.... I found a few decent 86-88 coupes for under 3grand lately, which i wouldn't mind buying and building up. Oh and if your gonna ask me why not an lt1 or ls1, I'm in college..... and besides i don't really want to drive my 72 monte carlo everyday. I think a late 80's vette with newer C4 hood/bumper cover would be sharp, cheap, fast, and lastly, jet black... Whats everyones oppinion though?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've built a C4 I got for 2k beat up w/cracked heads, if you just want to drive the car thats one thing but its going to cost alot of money to make it fast, 8k went fast on mine but it was set up for drag racing, I would get a 6speed if you can cause the 700r4's suck!!!, and most of the money went into transmission/driveline work, so for sure on the 6speed!, though not a very comfortable car to drive, I just dont like the seats and driving position for a daily car, did you drive one yet?
Old 08-05-2005, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

id get one more in the 92-95 area. More styling cues. Not bad looking cars. Good luck. If you want to make it fast lt1s are great motors!
Old 08-05-2005, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Six speed TPI C4s are pretty rare. They were only made from 89-91 and most that you see around are low milage jobs that are not cheap. I seriously doubt you're going to find a TPI M6 for around $3-4K.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

It’s like pretty much anything else. Try to get the newest one you can afford. The 89+ six speed is a good way to go. I would not buy one with the DN 4+3 speed. If you’re going pre 89 go with the auto. They’re not that bad and they’re way better than the 4+3 manual trans from those years.

To be honest with you; if you’re looking a Vettes that cost $3k or less you’re probably going to have to dump a ton of money into them. If you can afford it you can find some pretty nice 89+ TPI Vettes for $6k-$7k. You’re better off spending the money up front to get a nice car if you’re able. You will end up spending more than $6K-7k on your $3k Vette by the time you’re finished.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Im w/ MGorman. For a 3k vette you're either 1) Getting a hellacious deal or 2) going to have to put a LOT more $$ into it than you're wanting.

Buy the newest car you can afford. Even 91 80k - 90k mile vettes arent cheap (my dads has FX3, A4 is Steel Blue Metallic and we've been offered 12k for it). You arent going to find a great TPI car for 3-4k that doesnt need something, be it drivetrain, body, electrical etc.

Save up a little while longer, and get something nicer. Trust me, I know it sucks being in college and seein everyone drive around in nice cars that're fast, and hooked up and ****. But you also dont want to get yourself a money pit right now, and fall into something you dont "really" need.

Quick Reply: C4 question............