Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Viper Vette Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
So it takes a modded 'Vette to pass the Viper, ...
How reliable will the heavily modded 'Vette be, compared to a mildly modded Viper?
Please tell me you're joking!? a C5 Z stock = 405hp @ the flywheel. The Viper has at least 450hp-500hp. I'm not sure what they weigh, but its comparable to the Z. That should be as far as you would need to dig into what, stock vs stock performance would be from each car.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2.73 Vette
Id rather have the TT'd vette than the viper..

remember your not comparing a stock Viper to a stock vette.

Your comparing a bolt on viper to a TT lingenfelter Vette. The Lingenfelter vette has street cred like no other and a stock or bolt on Viper wouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as a Lingenfelter TT vette..

The hennesy Viper is whats comparable. People who arent even into cars have herd about the lingenfelter vette before. It's just got that much street cred man.

With the 200 pound weight diff. and the extra 30 rwhp and the 3.42 gears vrs the vipers 3.07 gears the Vette will be a good 1/2 second faster than the viper...

Those year vipers dyno 390-405 rwhp bone stock...Are you shore you can get another 70-80 rwhp from just bolt ons????

I was at the dealership aroun 4 months ago considering trading in my 04 vette for a 99 SRT10 viper..

I like you just really wanted to be able to say I owned a Viper. I felt the same way when I bought the Vette and now figured it was time to advance in the world. But when I opened the hood on that 99 Viper the engine lay out was far from what I had dreamed about. It was actually pretty pathetic looking compared to the 2004 c5 I own. Even the way the hood felt so fragile and poorly engineered really turned me off. Then when I got in side I saw that the car was actually uncomfortable and cramped compared to my vette..

AND THE INTERIOR OF THE99 SRT 10 LOOKED LIKE THE STONE AGES COMPARED TO MY 2004 VETTE. It was Horribaly UGLY...

Then I started her up for the test drive and the car did not sound how I dreamed the V10 would sound. It actually sounded like two 4 cylinder cars fighting with each other, vrs the nice rumble of the LS1.....

But on the test drive i saw what it was all about. The car absolutely moved when you went WOT......Acceleration wise it felt about the saME AS MY MODDED c5 ( AT MY TRACK STOCK VIPERS RUN 12.7-12.9 AND MY CAR RUNS 12.9-13.1....THE TRACK GOES SLIGHTLY UP HILL) But the TORQUE was simply a beautiful sensation. even with my current 450 Tourque my car still feels slow when I hit it compared to the viper...

So even though my car was better in most ways I still wanted theViper just so I could say i had a Viper. People at the dealership who saw what was going on came and told me that my vette looked better ( the 99 srt-10 is the prettiest viper I suppose) and not to do it. Even some of the sales men told me I was making a mistake and not to say they told me that...

BUT I WAS STILL GONNA DO IT JUST SO I COULD TELL PEOPLE I OWN A VIPER...

Finally my wife said that it was ugly and the inside sucked and my dream was over. I was very dissapointed. But 4 months later Im happy I still have the Vette. The Viper now has lost it's luster to me...Once the C6Z06 came out and regained the crown for fastest american sports car ( yes it has pulled better ET's and trap times than both the viper and ford GT in heads up comparisons) I was proud to be a vette owner again.

And then all the new numbers for the Viper hard top had it between 12.3-12.5...those are 2004 C5 z06 numbers man....

Do to the recent poor showing from the hardtop 2006 viper and the butt whoopin the Z06 has given it being a good 5 tenths faster. I just dont want one the way i used to when they were the top dog or atleaste second place behind the Ford GT.

stick with the Vette and drive Americas Favorite ( and fastest) sports car.
now this guy has the right idea !!

Quick Reply: Viper Vette Dilema