Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Traction control code

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Traction control code

Here we go again, ever since I installed the new motor I am now getting service traction control and active handling. Is there any grounds for this or any grounds that I need to look at for loose connections. I remember someone saying something about it possible being the battery or something that would cause this. Also is there any way to turn off active handling completely with hp tuners. The car is goin into reduced engine power mode and I cant clear the code on the DIC. Here is what I put in the car. 402 ls2 short block, ls6 heads, fast intake and 90mm throttle body. Will the throttle body have anything to do with it since it is drive by wire, maybe something there is messing with it. It seems that when the car detects any speed it throws these codes. I drove the car 100 yds if that from my garage and then here comes the codes...This thing is killing me, about to give up on it and sell it all. This is for a friend, I am posting here to help him. The code we get is TCS C1278. We cant clear it from the dic either. The only way to get it to go away is to turn the car off and then restart it but once it is started and we drive it, it does it again...
Old 06-03-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Year?
Old 06-03-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That code....for a 2001(I just picked a year)...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTC C1278
Circuit Description
The EBCM and the PCM simultaneously control the traction control. The PCM reduces the amount of torque supplied to the drive wheels by retarding spark timing and selectively turning off fuel injectors. The EBCM actively applies the brakes to the front wheels in order to reduce torque.

The EBCM sends a requested torque message via a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to the PCM. The duty cycle of the signal is used to determine how much engine torque the EBCM is requesting the PCM to deliver. Normal values are between 10 and 90 percent duty cycle. The signal should be at 90 percent when traction control is not active and at lower values during traction control activations. The PCM supplies a pull up voltage of 5 volts that the EBCM switches to ground to create the signal.

The PCM sends a delivered torque message via a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to the EBCM. The duty cycle of the signal is used to determine how much engine torque the PCM is delivering. Normal values are between 10 and 90 percent duty cycle. The signal should be at low values (around 10 percent) at idle and higher values under driving conditions. The EBCM supplies a pull up voltage of 12 volts that the PCM switches to ground to create the signal.

When certain PCM DTCs are set, the PCM will not be able to perform the torque reduction portion of traction control. A serial data message is sent to the EBCM indicating that traction control is not allowed.

Conditions for Running the DTC
The ignition is ON.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The PCM diagnoses a condition preventing the engine control portion of the traction control function and sends a serial data message to the EBCM indicating that torque reduction is not allowed. The PCM will typically set a DTC and the EBCM will set this DTC.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
If equipped, the following actions occur:

• The EBCM disables the TCS/VSES for the duration of the ignition cycle.

• The Traction Control and Active Handling indicator turns ON.

• The DIC displays the following messages:

- Service Traction System

- Service Active Handling

• The ABS remains functional.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
The condition for the DTC is no longer present and the DTC is cleared with a scan tool.
The EBCM automatically clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected in 100 consecutive drive cycles.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

It is a 01 zo6. You got any idea on how this is happening or how to fix. We clear the codes with hp tuners give it gas and it does it again. It seems to be throttle based. If I dont give it alot of throttle it will be fine, give it more throttle and it comes up and kills the motor. It did this last time when the heads where removed. We thought it was the ground on the driver side head in the back. Tightened that up and still does it.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Here is the new scenenio. When the car is floored it does not throw the code. When the car is at 10-20% throttle it throws the code.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

I get service trac control/service act hndlng and they sut off by default every few days then back to normal.The only thing I have messed with is the tach wire off the computer.do you have a shift light or window switch or something like that?I'm just curious if it could be related.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedz06
I get service trac control/service act hndlng and they sut off by default every few days then back to normal.The only thing I have messed with is the tach wire off the computer.do you have a shift light or window switch or something like that?I'm just curious if it could be related.
There is a shift light and a msd window switch for the nitrous hooked to the tach wire on the pcm.

Quick Reply: Traction control code