Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Electrical Problem(s) - Battery? Something...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electrical Problem(s) - Battery? Something...

Not sure if anyone can help, but its worth a shot as this is pissing me off now...

Here ase just a couple of LOTS of threads related to Battery problems, ground problems, electrical, etc...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1556055915

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1556055954

My Post on Z06vette.com:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...43#post1125443

GURU's Help Please!

Ok, after exhaustive research I have found people with problems by having a 'cheap' battery and when they replace it with an Exide, Optima, etc their problems went away...something to do with the Voltage draw that the C5's do?
I have also found people with DCM connector issues, ground issues and faulty components. I do not seem to have these problems...checked all the major grounds and connectors and everything is fine.

SO I could use some Guru help...

*I cleared all the codes and have been jacking around with it. Everything will work, all windows, locks etc but I am not running the car and the battery shortly thereafter will drain. I get the 'low voltage' warning and more things start happening as the juice disappears. Crazy clicking sound from the BCM-Fuse Box area, etc.
*I jump the battery and everything is perfect again. I don't leave anything plugged in to any cigarette lighters, etc as well fyi.

*I have taken the car to Wal Mart (the battery is a Everstart Maxx from Wal Mart) and they have stated/tested that the battery is 'fine' and the alternator seems 'fine' and is 'charging correctly/sufficiently.' Although the dude at Wal Mart says that the 'alternator feels hot and it might be sticking and going out...?'

*I inspected the alternator and found some black-type-string stuck in the front of it/inside the grille where the wires are. I pulled that stuff out (it was a nice wad) and there also appears that there is some black wire that is loose in there that runs just around the blades of the alternator and will nick/rub the blades occasionally...is this normal or possibly the problem?

*Current History Codes:*
LDCM: B2282, B2284 RDCM: B2283, B2285
Battery 1 or Battery 2 Voltage Out of Range

A6-SCM: B0851 Battery Out of Range

BO-RFA: U1255, Class 2 Communication Malfunction

1. Is this possibly just too cheap of a battery that won't work with the C5? (I don't want to just go buy one and waste money on a battery I don't need)
2. Is the alternator going out or that wire thing?
3. Is a Module indeed going bad or bad that is causing it to drain the battery like another forum member had the problem with?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok...i'm home now...and somewhat in vacation mode(leaving tomorrow night)...so, that said, I didn't click on to the links.

So, for that, my bad.

You need to do a charging system test. It's easy for me to say that cause, I have a few testing devices at work. It should reveal whats going on with your alternator/battery.

Electrical issues are very hard to diagnose, even more when I can't see the car. You say you tested for voltage drops, and thats great.

Hows your BELT look? I have seen cars come into work, with major chargeing issues....causeing me to test and test and test away,...checking the PCM, checking grounds...etc. Some times, it ends up being that the belt is soo stretched out, that the tensioner no longer has ANY tension on it. Causeing the belt to loosely grab the accesories.

If you were local, i'd give you a battery... although, I would strongly check your chargeing system bro.... it SEEMS like your problem may be there.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Ok...i'm home now...and somewhat in vacation mode(leaving tomorrow night)...so, that said, I didn't click on to the links.

So, for that, my bad.

You need to do a charging system test. It's easy for me to say that cause, I have a few testing devices at work. It should reveal whats going on with your alternator/battery.

Electrical issues are very hard to diagnose, even more when I can't see the car. You say you tested for voltage drops, and thats great.

Hows your BELT look? I have seen cars come into work, with major chargeing issues....causeing me to test and test and test away,...checking the PCM, checking grounds...etc. Some times, it ends up being that the belt is soo stretched out, that the tensioner no longer has ANY tension on it. Causeing the belt to loosely grab the accesories.

If you were local, i'd give you a battery... although, I would strongly check your chargeing system bro.... it SEEMS like your problem may be there.
No worries man and I appreciate it very much.

I would assume so as well about the charging. The belt is brand new and had it charge-tested and it is 'within spec' for the battery and the alternator.

I am thinking it was just a loose connector in one of the doors, which I now fixed, a loose/bad ground or maybe even a bad door module.

People with my exact same problems (and they seem to be very common) found these roots to their problems:

- Bad battery
- alternator going bad
- bad ground
- bad DCM causing excessive battery drain
- voltage regulator
- bad and/or loose connector to the DCM(s)
Old 07-12-2006, 11:19 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Get yourself a priority start module, they are around $70 from Eckler's. That way your battery will never go dead when the car is parked. It senses the battery voltage and disconnects things automatically if the voltage drops below a safe point.

www.prioritystart.com for info, but the prices are higher there.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Get yourself a priority start module, they are around $70 from Eckler's. That way your battery will never go dead when the car is parked. It senses the battery voltage and disconnects things automatically if the voltage drops below a safe point.

www.prioritystart.com for info, but the prices are higher there.
Wow, that's an awesome product that I have never heard of.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sweet deal.

Hope it works out for you man. Have a good weekend ya'll

j
Old 07-14-2006, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Sweet deal.

Hope it works out for you man. Have a good weekend ya'll

j
Thanks amigo.

Have a good time off!

Quick Reply: Electrical Problem(s) - Battery? Something...