Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Couple of Perf ?'s about a C6

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Couple of Perf ?'s about a C6

My brother in law has a C6 he got a few months ago. It is totally stock and he took it to Texas Motorplex Friday night. He ran it like 14 times. his best time was 13.3 @ 106. He wants to get into the 12's, but doesn't want to lose his warranty.....yet. Obviously some exhaust, CAI, and programming would help. Does anyone have any experience with mod's on a C6 that can point us in the right direction? TIA
Old 09-05-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He could prolly get at least a 12.99 with just drag radials or quicker 60 ft time. Other wise a CAI/intake and cat back will get him there with no problem. But over all his 60 ft times get those below a 2.0 and he will hit 12's all day.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
My brother in law has a C6 he got a few months ago. It is totally stock and he took it to Texas Motorplex Friday night. He ran it like 14 times. his best time was 13.3 @ 106. He wants to get into the 12's, but doesn't want to lose his warranty.....yet. Obviously some exhaust, CAI, and programming would help. Does anyone have any experience with mod's on a C6 that can point us in the right direction? TIA

Stick or auto (4 or 6)? If he waits about 3 months to get out of this heat and runs again, probably can get in the 12s. Hot lapping (14 runs) will kill his time too...1 hour cool down before 1st run after driving to track. If it's a stick, is he power shifiting? Either way, torque management on a stock tune will kill the 1/4, so probably just a tune will get him in the 12s.

Exhaust (catback) is worthless without headers, and the CAIs are slightly helpful. One CF member ran his stock C6 (no tune), on runflats to a 12.2...best time I'm aware of. I think he's on this board too, and hopefully will see this.

Last, what was the 60' time and what was the trap speed? If you have a decent dealer, headers/tune should not be a problem (and they don't void the entire warranty anyway, just anything they are a direct cause of, which doesn't mean much if the dealer is an *** and doesn't want to work on the car). Otherwise, put some 3.90s or 4.10s in, tune and go 12s easy.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He has the new auto...6 speed I believe. He was leaving traction control on because he figured he would not be good at launching (I had to pull this out of him). He did admit it was pretty hot and he was trying to cool the car down, but not for very long between runs.

I don't know his 60ft times because he is in Dallas. I could prob get my sister to tell me. I know his trap speed on the 13.3 was 106. I don't know for all the runs, but he kept saying they were about the same.

I already mentioned an extra set of rear wheels and some diff tires. He has free tires for life as long as he gets his oil changes at the dealership. I know he plans on taking advantage of that since he is very hard on tires with anything he drives.

I know a big part of why he wants to go faster is that he claims he won 11 of the 14 races. He beat a modded (not sure how much) Trailblazer SS, but then lost to it later when he ran it again and he was bent about that.

Thanks for the help. Keep it coming. Any recomendations on trype/brand of headers?
Old 09-05-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That car should be running MPH in the teens..hot lapping will warm it up a lot ... when they get warm the PCM pulls timing and you loose some major HP..a good tune will help ..a set of headers, catback, and a tune will be better..
Old 09-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
He has the new auto...6 speed I believe. He was leaving traction control on because he figured he would not be good at launching (I had to pull this out of him). He did admit it was pretty hot and he was trying to cool the car down, but not for very long between runs.

I don't know his 60ft times because he is in Dallas. I could prob get my sister to tell me. I know his trap speed on the 13.3 was 106. I don't know for all the runs, but he kept saying they were about the same.

I already mentioned an extra set of rear wheels and some diff tires. He has free tires for life as long as he gets his oil changes at the dealership. I know he plans on taking advantage of that since he is very hard on tires with anything he drives.

I know a big part of why he wants to go faster is that he claims he won 11 of the 14 races. He beat a modded (not sure how much) Trailblazer SS, but then lost to it later when he ran it again and he was bent about that.

Thanks for the help. Keep it coming. Any recomendations on trype/brand of headers?
First, TC should be off...car should be in Competitive Driving mode (TC off and active handling on). That will actually put him in the 12s right there, no mods. TC works by pulling timing too...no wonder his trap speeds were so low.

Cool. I'm in Dallas too. He can PM or email me if he wants. I run Kooks 1 3/4" headers with Kooks 3" hi-flow x-pipe and Random Technology hi-flow cats, my Dad's C6 has 1 3/4" Dynatechs (with 3"x and hi-flow cats) and I've got friends with LG Pros. The Kooks is the cheapest of the 3 and typically makes more mid-range torque (various claims and posts), and the LG is generally accepted to make more top end hp. Any of them are good. I also have Dad's car at my house now, so I have 2 exhausts to listen to...Bullets on Dad's, and Magnaflow on mine. Both my car and my Dad's are over 450rwhp.

Was he running out at Ennis? I haven't gotten any times on my car yet (besides the G-tech meter on the street), but I'm sure I'll only be there for one run before they toss me out for no roll cage.

I run the LPE CAI, it's a bottom breather (also see the Callaway).