Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Wierd fuel gauge problem HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wierd fuel gauge problem HELP!!

I was on my way back from the track last night and I had put like $30 in the tank before we left. The Range said ~250 miles, then all of a sudden the gauge dropped to empty and instead of range saying "LOW" or "0", it went blank and the check gauges light came on and it flashes "LOW FUEL". I checked the fuses under the hood, and I couldnt understand what any of them were inside the car. I also tried disconecting the battery for like 30 seconds then connected it again and it was still the same problem.

I am really hoping this is something little and not like teh sending unit or something.

So what do you guys think is wrong? Could it be a fuse? What else?

Thanks
-Scott
Old 10-07-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You are correct sir. Most of them do that. It's an easy fix.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Johnsonville, SC; but orginally from GAINESVILLE, FL

Seen twice and this is a problem that happens to a lot of us. First, try running top tier gases. Heres a link to a listing of the gas stations that offer the top tier gases:

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Also, your fuel sending unit (located in the gas tank) maybe dirty with buildup, so try using a can or two of a product called SEA FOAM. You can find this at Advance Auto, Auto Zone, and other parts stores. You can try the CHEVRON TECHRON Fuel System Treatment, but I found that SEA FOAM is much better. I even called and spoke to them and I am sold on the product. When you use it, make sure that you put it in before you fill up, the stuff is pretty potent and you will need the gas to wash and help blend it. Trust me, this stuff is great. You really need to stay away from the gas stations that sell cheaper blended fuels. Check out the listing and see what is nearest you and use them.

Hope this helps.

Micah
Old 10-07-2006, 06:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by T-maxx
You are correct sir. Most of them do that. It's an easy fix.
So whats the problem and wats the fix lol?

Thanks MICAH HERRON for the info, you think it was bad gas tho? I used 93 Mobil.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Johnsonville, SC; but orginally from GAINESVILLE, FL

I don't think it is necessarily bad gas, but a mizature of months of non-top-tier gasoline that has created a bad build up of sulfer on your sending uint. The Sea Foam will cure that and if you use one of the top-tier gasolines I have forward from here on out, I think things will clear up quickly. After speaking to the rep about Sea Foam, I was told that you can use this every other time you fill up, but it is not necessary. Here read up on it:

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm

Here is a copy of the email they sent me too:

Believe what you read in our literature and on the www.saefoamsales.com web site, it is truthful knowledge backed up by 66 years of customer satisfaction. Sea Foam, Trans Tune & Deep Creep are 100% petroleum oil blended product! NO CHEMICALS, so there is no danger of damage.

The number one use of Sea Foam Motor Treatment is in a fuel, be it gasoline (any brand or grade), gas/oil mix for 2 cycle applications, or diesel fuel.

Sea Foam used 1 - 16 ounce can to a minimum of about 8 gallons fuel, or a maximum of 25 gallons of fuel, is by design an added upper cylinder lubricant, moisture drier, carbon cleaner, fuel system residue cleaner, and fuel stabilizer (for up to 2 years at one ounce per gallon in most applications).

Other every day uses of Sea Foam Motor Treatment include:

1. In the crankcase oil ( including SYNTHETIC) as a pre cleaner to doing LOF service, an after LOF service additive, and a problem solver (or diagnostic tool) for other oil residue related crankcase system problems including sticky rings, lifters, etc.
Use at 1 1/2 ounces Sea Foam to each quart of crankcase oil, and give it a minimum of 30 minutes normal driving time before an LOF service or as a problem solver/diagnostic tool. Sea Foam works at making old oil residue back into liquid, so it may flow and be filtered. As an after service additive, Sea Foam works to liquefy that really tuff oil residue, and helps your oil keep from forming residue.
Like any other hi detergent oil product, Sea Foam may make your fresh oil get dirty, faster than normal, so monitor your oil for color and clarity at either mileage or time intervals, and change your oil when it gets dirty!

2. As an upper cylinder carbon cleaner, putting Sea Foam Motor Treatment in your fuel system will clean carbon off valves, cylinder heads, and pistons, AS YOU DRIVE! How long it takes will depend on how much carbon is present, how much product you use in your fuel, and your driving habits.

SO:

Sea Foam is used as an upper cylinder carbon cleaner by professional technicians who need "instant results" and also need to solve drivability problems that are carbon related. Simple to use on most vehicles, Sea Foam Motor Treatment can be used in conjunction with commercially available professional equipment designed for this service work, and can also be used by the "technically knowledgeable" DIY'er without special equipment. A thorough knowledge of the vehicle/engine induction system is required for using on EFI, TBI, and other "non traditional" induction systems.
Sea Foam Motor treatment is also used by professional technicians in equipment designed to clean fuel injectors at a 50/50 ratio gasoline to Sea Foam.

As for the other uses of Sea Foam Products:

Sea Foam offers its Motor Treatment in a spray can called DEEP CREEP, for ease of use in safely cleaning throttle bodies and EFI air inlets using a NON CHEMICAL, and in places where a spray might work easier/better than the Sea Foam Motor Treatment liquid. (small engines, side or updraft carbs, lubricating, cleaning, penetrating)

Sea Foam also offers TRANS TUNE for use in any hydraulic OIL, as a residue cleaner and moisture drier. Such systems include power steering, automatic transmissions, pump/plow assemblies, log splitter, etc. Again, 100% petroleum oil blended, TRANS TUNE is not a stop leak, but a cleaner and moisture drier.

Sea Foam also offers BUGS B GONE, a water based soap product for cleaning anything organic off any surface.
Bugs, molds, mildew, dirt, light oils, brake dust, road grime, etc. SAFE, it won't take the wax off your car! Use as directed, be creative, as a carpet/upholstery cleaner it can't be beat!

Hope this all helps!

Customer Service

I am a believer, it cleared my problem, same one you are speaking of, and it cleared it up immediately. Of course, I switched to a top tier gasoline too and rarely use anything else.

Micah

Quick Reply: Wierd fuel gauge problem HELP!!