Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Calipers won't come off?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calipers won't come off?!

I'd like to change out my rotors/pads so I removed my wheels and went to pull off the calipers. Like any other car there were two caliper mounting bolts, 15mm if memory serves me correctly. I loosened them but the bolt just spins, it won't pull out of the caliper mounting bracket. I tried a pair of vice grips to wiggle the bolt back and forth because I figured it was binding somewhere - no luck.

All I can figure is there's some sort of sleeve inside the bracket where the caliper mounts that has been stripped out by someone who's worked on the car before me. Perhaps it was over tightened in the past? Regardless, the caliper mounting bolts just spin in place and I can't remove it - has anyone ever run into this problem and if so what did you do?

Thanks a ton.

-Jesse
Old 11-13-2006, 05:20 PM
MJD
12 Second Club

Maybe this will help.

http://dana60.com/rickko/corvette/rotor-rr.html
Old 11-13-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You need to use an open ended wrench on the backing nut. It's not really a nut, but it's where the bolt threads into... You are probably turning the entire thing. This is not the caliper bracket to the spindle.. it's the caliper to the bracket...
Old 11-14-2006, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Thank you! I had no idea there was a backing nut. I am quite relieved - I thought something was seriously broken.

Quick Reply: Calipers won't come off?!