Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Trans popping out of gear? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans popping out of gear? HELP!!

Just got the Z06 back from the dealer after having the 3rd gear synchro replaced. Now the damn shifter is popping out of gear. Happened about 4 times on the way to work today. I'd go into second gear and it would just pop out, couple times it wouldnt engage all the way and as soon as I let go of the shifter it shot back into nuetral. Anyone ever experience this?? Guess we'll be calling the dealer again today!
Old 12-20-2006, 10:39 AM
King of the radial tires

The best case is that the shifter cradle is not properly centered. If this is the case, it can restrict movement of the shifter sufficiently to preclude full seating of a gear. This usually affects on the gear(s) in one quadrant, e.g. left or right, top or bottom.

If, on the other hand, it's popping out of 2d and say 3d, the issue is likely to be internal to the tranny.

Can't offer more than that, given the symptoms, as written.

Ranger
Old 12-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Teching In

take it back
Old 05-17-2007, 12:21 PM
King of the radial tires

Suggest you re-center the shifter cradle. Here is the procedure.

http://rpmtransmissions.com/files/c5...adjustment.pdf

If this adjustment doesn't bring relief, it's back to the dealer.

Most tranny issues derive from degenerated clutch fluid causing the clutch pedal to disengage incompletely on shifts. But I'd like to think that you've been keeping your clutch fluid clean since I showed you the procedure back at Carlisle.

Ranger
Old 05-17-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

John, haha way to bring an old thread back from the grave buddy! Jenne and I actually sold the Z06 back in March because it was just too impractical for what we needed. Ended up buying an Infiniti FX35 for her and I just picked up a brand new GTO 6spd a few weeks ago. I'm actually headed up to Cecil County this Saturday (provided the weather holds out) to get some baseline runs before I do anything mod wise. Hoping for some low 13s maybe high 12s. I just hit 1,000 miles so it should loosen up after a few on the clock.

P.S. After you showed me that, it was ALWAYS crystal clear!!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:42 PM
King of the radial tires

Originally Posted by BRIAN98Z28
John, haha way to bring an old thread back from the grave buddy! Jenne and I actually sold the Z06 back in March because it was just too impractical for what we needed. Ended up buying an Infiniti FX35 for her and I just picked up a brand new GTO 6spd a few weeks ago. I'm actually headed up to Cecil County this Saturday (provided the weather holds out) to get some baseline runs before I do anything mod wise. Hoping for some low 13s maybe high 12s. I just hit 1,000 miles so it should loosen up after a few on the clock.

P.S. After you showed me that, it was ALWAYS crystal clear!!
Good luck at Cecil. Nice track. But I'm banned from it unless I install a rollbar.

Keep that GTO clutch fluid clean too. That way the pedal will stay normal.

Ranger
Old 05-17-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ranger
Good luck at Cecil. Nice track. But I'm banned from it unless I install a rollbar.

Keep that GTO clutch fluid clean too. That way the pedal will stay normal.

Ranger
Will do buddy. I like Cecil the best too, I normally hook better there than MIR. I'll let you know what I run. **fingers crossed**
~Brian

Quick Reply: Trans popping out of gear? HELP!!