Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Whats Up with Corvette Owners..

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97vetteman
The corvette forum has a lot of old guys on they don't work on there own cars they pay get someone to do. I saw a pics of a run in CA recently on there it looked like an old aged pensioners outing Knee socks and straw hats is spot on!

I posted a kill story and the thread got closed! Whats' the point in having a Vette if your not gonna put your foot down and blow away some wanbe in a rice burner.

Then there this old guy who posted 62 years old first Vette he gets upto 3,500rpm and then changes gear and the Vette sounds great. What's the redline for you get to 6,000rpm then it sounds great. probalbly scare himself half to death if he did get to the red line.

I not saying they are like it but the should have a retirment section on there for the old fogeys!
I'm glad I'm not in that old man Corvette forum. No old 62 year old here, I'm a young 63 even though this is my first vette. I did take it to almost red line and ran a 12.65 @ 112.84 mph with my stock (except drag radials) 07 Corvette.

I still do 99% of my own work too. Installed two cams in my 98 Camaro when I had it not to mention porting my own heads. Of course I was a youngester back then at 58-59. Then finally ran the Camaro to a 10.77 @ 123 mph in 2006 with my knee socks banging the throttle. But way back then I was still a youngester at only 62. Off to the retirement forum I go!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Larry
I'm glad I'm not in that old man Corvette forum. No old 62 year old here, I'm a young 63 even though this is my first vette. I did take it to almost red line and ran a 12.65 @ 112.84 mph with my stock (except drag radials) 07 Corvette.

I still do 99% of my own work too. Installed two cams in my 98 Camaro when I had it not to mention porting my own heads. Of course I was a youngester back then at 58-59. Then finally ran the Camaro to a 10.77 @ 123 mph in 2006 with my knee socks banging the throttle. But way back then I was still a youngester at only 62. Off to the retirement forum I go!

Damn dude where did you find the room for a second cam on your Camaro? I always wanted a twin cam set-up...

Sorry I couldn't resist.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
Damn dude where did you find the room for a second cam on your Camaro? I always wanted a twin cam set-up...

Sorry I couldn't resist.
Actually three cams. Don't all Camaros take three? The first cam was my factory, then I added two more!
Old 02-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry
Actually three cams. Don't all Camaros take three? The first cam was my factory, then I added two more!
You shoulda spent a little more $$$ and got the quad-cam. Then you'd really make some power.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the real differnce between f-bod guys and vette guys on the two forums is the fact that most f-bod guys are strictly into hot-rodding/drag racing. Whereas, the vette passion family is much larger ie: the polishers/show car guys, the drag racers/hot-rodders, the road racers, the stock restorers, the collectors/big dollar guys, the hp dyno guys and so on. This leads to the ls1tech as the premier tech site, and the vetteforum a much more general forum. Good stuff on both, with more gear heads hanging out on tech, and more casual users on vettefroum. Anyway, punch in lsxtech and you get ls1tech, meaning it's the engine/performance sight that covers all the LSx GM stuff, GTO's, F-bods, vettes, caddies and trucks. Can't we all just get along?
By the way, I am not into the polishing/shining stuff at all.
Robert
Old 02-25-2007, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robert56@NitrousDirect
I think the real differnce between f-bod guys and vette guys on the two forums is the fact that most f-bod guys are strictly into hot-rodding/drag racing. Whereas, the vette passion family is much larger ie: the polishers/show car guys, the drag racers/hot-rodders, the road racers, the stock restorers, the collectors/big dollar guys, the hp dyno guys and so on. This leads to the ls1tech as the premier tech site, and the vetteforum a much more general forum. Good stuff on both, with more gear heads hanging out on tech, and more casual users on vettefroum. Anyway, punch in lsxtech and you get ls1tech, meaning it's the engine/performance sight that covers all the LSx GM stuff, GTO's, F-bods, vettes, caddies and trucks. Can't we all just get along?
By the way, I am not into the polishing/shining stuff at all.
Robert

I think Corvette restorers are more "Corvette Restoration" while their isn't really a Camaro/Firebird restoration wing, just a general "Muscle Car Restoration" group.

I don't see many extreme Corvettes though. I see a lot of ultra modified F-Bodies, but almost no super modified Corvette's outside of the significantly older ones.

BTW Ultra modified isn't necessarily a good thing either... I see a lot of seriously BAD 2nd/3rd gens out there. While I bet the extremely serious Corvette drag racers give up after they brake their fifth IRS.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BitViper
Touche!
But the damm car already fast enough..thats why I bought it..I was piling up the bucks in my Camaro trying to build a car that would rival a vette....so I bought the vette and decieded that the only mods I need to do are to make it ..more user friendly

He needs to add all of the other cars he has ever owned and sold in his sig as well..
Old 02-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

The funny chit about that is that i didn't see the the guy who posted above me's sig til just now..

Last edited by ..Mark..; 02-25-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
I think Corvette restorers are more "Corvette Restoration" while their isn't really a Camaro/Firebird restoration wing, just a general "Muscle Car Restoration" group.

I don't see many extreme Corvettes though. I see a lot of ultra modified F-Bodies, but almost no super modified Corvette's outside of the significantly older ones.

BTW Ultra modified isn't necessarily a good thing either... I see a lot of seriously BAD 2nd/3rd gens out there. While I bet the extremely serious Corvette drag racers give up after they brake their fifth IRS.
That's why I mostly hang out in the FI/N20 section at vetteforum, mostly high end modders, but I will admit the nitrous knowledge is really lacking over there.
Robert
Old 02-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Just a thought, some Corvette owners (perhaps most of the vocal ones) have just bought a nice car for the first time and they want everyone in the world to know it. They don’t want to think that any other car, or any other year, or any other color, is as cool as theirs; and they will argue the point it to their last keyboard click.

I have a 99 coupe and love it; I have had many other hot rods, 4X4’s and bikes throughout the years, but this is my first Corvette. I bought it because it was a great looking car, and a tremendous bang for the buck. I try to cut the other guys a break, the young ones will figure it out in a couple of years, and the older guys are just geezing, and harmless anyway.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MJD
I think this is a stereotype. There are a lot that fall in that catagory but I think some of it has to do with how many guys enter car shows with there vettes. Don't kid yourself that the vette guys know nothing about performance. I've been to the corvette forum cruise in at Bowling Green, KY and there was not much talk of zaino. I did however see several cars run in the 9's and a C2 go 10.1 all motor.
That's nice peanut,...NOW, go to the track EVERY weekend!! THEN tell me that these F-Body guys don't have bad intentions! and where did you get that vet. owners dont know anything about performance????? Not from me!!! AND PLEEEEEEEEEASE, you went somewhere where there were more than a few corvette owners and NOT ONE appearance guy AAHHHHHHHHHHHA! Yes there are more and more performance minded Vet. guys but nowhere near as many OR as serious on the average as the YOUNGER guys in the,..............F-BODYS!!!

Last edited by vetred; 02-25-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BitViper
I used to drive a Porsche..and they have the wave too...I started waving an dF-body guys when I got my Camaro....and kept geting funny stares and got flippe doff a couple of times....Im getting the wave from every C5 vette I see...C6 guys......[borat voice]Not so much......[/borat voice]
LMAO.

The f-body guys either give the Peace sign out the window, but most of the time you would rev your car to see who's car has the bigger *****. LOL

I have gotten and given the rev when going by the f-body guys in my vette.

You are right though about the c6 owners. Every C5 owner I have seen I got the wave.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:32 PM
MJD
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vetred
AND PLEEEEEEEEEASE, you went somewhere where there were more than a few corvette owners and NOT ONE appearance guy AAHHHHHHHHHHHA! Yes there are more and more performance minded Vet. guys but nowhere near as many OR as serious on the average as the YOUNGER guys in the,..............F-BODYS!!!
I think the issue is you just don't hang out with anyone in the corvette community. Sure I've seen alot of just purely show and shine vettes but I've also seen my share of stock and riced out F-bodies. The average age of vette owners is around 54 but I will take advice from alot more of them than some cocky 20 yr old F-body owner. Alot of them have been modding longer than I've been alive. Get back to me when you actually spend some time with vette owners besides on an internet forum.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MJD
I think the issue is you just don't hang out with anyone in the corvette community. Sure I've seen alot of just purely show and shine vettes but I've also seen my share of stock and riced out F-bodies. The average age of vette owners is around 54 but I will take advice from alot more of them than some cocky 20 yr old F-body owner. Alot of them have been modding longer than I've been alive. Get back to me when you actually spend some time with vette owners besides on an internet forum.

I agree 100% and can tell you that the vette guys in Chicago from the corvette forum who I hang out with are some of the nicest, down to earth, regular guys, who accept any vette owner into our group and the ages range from guys in their 20s to guys in their 60s, and to guys my age right smack dab in the middle! FIND the local guys on the corvette forum who hang out in your town and I bet you end up changing your tune on your original post here.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

If ya guys want to see some performance vette guys over at the other forum, go to the drag racing section or the C6 Z06 section, both hard to find but well worth it.

Here's something interesting, most of the hard core c5 Z06 drag racers have moved on to the C6 Z06. Now the C5 Z06 section is more filled with posers than tech guys. The reason being, more can now afford the $$ for a c5 Z06 as they have come way down. Lots of floor mat questions, or what color is your Z06, please, go back to your momma's skirt. They really have no clue to what they have just bought, a status symbol for them.
Robert
Old 02-25-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ..Mark..
The funny chit about that is that i didn't see the the guy who posted above me's sig til just now..

Oh **** that is nothing, I ran out of availible characters to stick in their. There are a LOT more of them too!

I post that hoping people who sit their and say "how would you know about that, you never drove one" shut up.

Like when I make fun of Ford, damn it I have a right!!!

4 Ford Rangers '91, '95, '98, '02
1 Ford Taurus DD
1 Ford Bronco <- coolest by far, stock Eddie Baur (spelling?) gorgeous for an old *** car fully loaded loaded with a tiny *** gas tank and it SUCKED fuel.

Volkswagen Beetle...
BTW we have a family business hence they are usually for work or LONG distance business travelling
Old 02-25-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bville-Bud
Just a thought, some Corvette owners (perhaps most of the vocal ones) have just bought a nice car for the first time and they want everyone in the world to know it. They don’t want to think that any other car, or any other year, or any other color, is as cool as theirs; and they will argue the point it to their last keyboard click.

Definately Corvette owners are a LOT more loyal than F-Body owners. MOST F-Body owners would switch to a Corvette or are willing to buy another classic muscle car if/when they have the chance while Corvette guys mostly would only go with a Viper if given the chance.

Not many chances for people to go to a car twice as pricey as a Corvette so a lot of the Corvette guys say they would never buy a Dodge or another car. Hence the loyalty with the number two priced (available) domestic car.

Especially since the Viper is number one via coolness factor despite it being more a neato car than a performance car. Because it is DEFINATELY a neato car to own.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MJD
GET OVER IT!!! WE have one of the most active CORVETTE groups in the country,.........(when its not raining) You do not even stand next to robert56 when he lets her go,... and your point is simply hopeless!!! More corvette guys are into the performance "arts"????? NNNNNNNNNOT! OR is it that the younger F-Body guys (@"SOME 20+ KID") dont know what they are talking about??? TOOO broad of a statment sir. you want shine go to the forum you want Mod your moter and make HORSE POWER,.. its right HEAR!!! Just READ the threads!! What is exactly your point any way?? I forgot.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

The second day I owned my Corvette, I took it to a local Corvette show they had here in Maryland. I had the targa top out, and just kinda cruised through before I found a spot to park. I had the radio completely off and still had the quiet Z06 exhaust on the car...I didn't want to be that "young kid with a loud Vette." Anyhow, before I could even get parked, I got so many crappy looks from all the Vette owners, I didn't even stop. I was really dejected by the whole thing.

I've noticed some of the ****** on CF, but overall, I've had nothing but good luck with selling and buying and also help from the members and sponsers. Since then, I've met a couple local guys too.

Bottom line....there is a huge age gap over there, a huge socio-economic gap and when you get 80,000 members together, there are going to be disagreements.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Over at Z06vette.com is a poll on age ownership, guess what, the average Z06 owner is like 30 years old. Kinda puts a crimp in everyone's opinion that it's just us old guys. Yes I am well over 30.
Robert

Quick Reply: Whats Up with Corvette Owners..