C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Spec 3 clutch question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spec 3 clutch question?

I was looking into a spec 3 for my 98 corvette (supercharged) with an M/6
i heard these are good clutches but i had several people tell me to stay away from them because of balance issues ? Is there a better clutch for around this price , say like a ram or centerforce ? need some input thanks jay
Old 03-08-2007, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Try a Ram powergrip HD. I had a Spec 3 and it lasted around 18,000 miles with only 423 rwhp. I do a lot of racing at the dragstrip around 100 passes a year. I currently have a more expensive Ram twin disk setup in the car and I love it.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

i agree with sigforty...i have heard nothin but good from the RAM powergrip HD...i myself am going with the LS7 clutch for the driceability.. do not get a spec clutch!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

i had a spec 3 in my ss and liked it fine other than a little chatter. i personally wouldn't take the chance of buying another one though.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I have heard of major issue with the clutch exploding on some occasions, with the Spec 3
My friend had a Spec 3 ion his 400rwhp t/a and lasted 2000 miles with a proper break in. He went with the Mcleod twin disk setup and never looked back.
My other friend with 420rwhp t/a had a spec 3 in it and never one problem.
I've heard good things from the Ram powergrip, otherwise I would go with a Texralia(sp) or a mcleod twin disk. Although those are big money, but can handle a ton of power and torque.
Then again on these cars I would spend the money now and put in a great clutch. They look like a PITA to put in compared to the f-bodies.

Last edited by scramblerman; 03-08-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

The Spec isn't worth a ****.

Go with the Ram HD or Street Dual.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kraest
The Spec isn't worth a ****.

Go with the Ram HD or Street Dual.

Couldn't have said it better.

In my, actually, mine and my buddies occurance, it actually costed us money(don't ask, alot) to run a spec clutch after their failures. Buy a ram, or textralia, stay away from spec.

I now run a RAM VDS....although not cheap, worth it, in my opinion.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its all in the break-in! People will tell you that they are horrible just from the stories they have heard on the net. They dont know the other half of the story where the owner of the newly installed clutch beat the hell out of it right after the car come off the lift.

I have run Spec clutch in my 700 rwhp Cobra and it never slipped... not once! I drove it easy for about 300 miles and slowly laid into it until about 500 miles and then started going WOT. I currently have a Spec III+ coming in the mail right now. I will let you know how it is as soon as its installed and broke in.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdaniel
Its all in the break-in! People will tell you that they are horrible just from the stories they have heard on the net. They dont know the other half of the story where the owner of the newly installed clutch beat the hell out of it right after the car come off the lift.

I have run Spec clutch in my 700 rwhp Cobra and it never slipped... not once! I drove it easy for about 300 miles and slowly laid into it until about 500 miles and then started going WOT. I currently have a Spec III+ coming in the mail right now. I will let you know how it is as soon as its installed and broke in.

Ok...well. I have to disagree with you on this one man,...speaking from expierence. I have seen two SPEC clutches, actually, it's their pressure plates that COME APART AT HIGH RPM, total 2 cars. They slice through the car like butter. With no hints, nothing to warn you. One kit was installed by myself, had a few thousand miles on it, and,..boom. Another, installed at another facility by a GM tech, came apart just after a few miles, and that was a stage 5.

It's no mistery to people here on this site. We all know about theire shitty quality, and lack of help when a failure does occure.

Best of wishes to those of you that carry their product in your car(s). I hope you walk away with your feet, like myself. And for the record, I have recommend and installed SPEC products for a very long time,....until this happened, and then once the internet world heard of my problem, various EMAILS and PM's from members came in, stating the exact same problem that I have had.

I still get emails.

Spec,.....sucks.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Spec makes a good product. Just ask pro drag racers. Installation may be part of the problem. Put it in wrong and you will have problems. I have had a spec for over 30K with no problems. The balance issue you spaeak of is the flywheel not the clutch. For the money spec makes a fine product. Textralia is an excellent top of the line clutch but look at the price. It's apples to oranges on price. Make sure the installation is done by someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I run a spec 3+ in my 400+rwhp 2000 and I love it. I have heard some of the horror stories on this forum but I did not buy into the hype. I have known so many people that have run a spec and love them. Like Mr.427 said pro shops use them all the time that should tell you something there. Are there bad ones out there? Of course there are and any company who claims to be completely defect free is probably lying. Are there better clutches than the Specs yes but its all in what you can afford. You should look into the Ram clutches, although I have never had any personal experiances with them I hear they are quite nice.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Launching!

I put in a spec, it shuddered at take off and vibrated terribly despite being balanced twice. Pulled it for an RPS which is a lot more money but has been great so far.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a Spec 3.. and it was not that great.

My buddy had a 3+ and had vibration issues. He took it to a local clutch shop to have it balanced, and they said they have had NUMEROUS problems with SPEC clutches and lots of balance issues. Put it back in after balancing and was ok..

BUT.. after seeing the pics of Jamie's car when the clutch exploded and hearing noises.. I got scared and ripped mt Spec 3 out, so did my buddy with the 3+ shortly after me...

I currently run the Tex and he's got the Ram HD..

Quick Reply: Spec 3 clutch question?