C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Differential leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 02:37 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Differential leak?

I have an intermittent leak (weird huh?) towards the rear of the car, and I believe its the diff. The fluid is brown like dirty motor oil, but doesn't have much odor. I have noticed a single drop once or twice on the garage floor when I move the car, but usually its dry. The other day I backed it out and there were quite a few drops and lines of it. I have noticed some dampness at the very rear of the car, not sure whats part it is either transmission or diff, but its mounted on rubber bushings which appear to have oil on them from this leak. Weird thing is the drips on the floor are further forward than the area where its damp with oil. I need to look under it, just not so easy to get a jack under a lowered C5. I heard diff leaks are common, whats it take to fix it, parts and cost wise?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2007, 10:47 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going to take it to the shop tomorrow and check it out. Hope its simple, I'd hate to have to take this thing apart.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda PIA to get up and look at it, but you realy need to just get under it to see where it is coming frmo. The seals on the diff have been known to have issues, but hopefully it is not that bad. Warrenty maybe?

Good luck man!
Dave
Old 06-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the drivers side always leaks on almost all the c5 vettes, i had the seal changed on mine at 13000miles when i had my mods done and it started leaking again at 32000miles. gm put a bulletin out to check the cover plate on the drivers side were the seal goes into there is a rubber o ring between the cover and the diff. thats what was leaking on mine this time. while i had it apart i changed the seal and o ring as well as put some form a gasket around the oring as well. it is not that hard to do. if you have access to a car lift it will make it alot easier.

Quick Reply: Differential leak?