Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

parking brake cable removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parking brake cable removal

I had no luck on any of the other forums with this. All I got was how to replace the boot and the plastic handle for appearence sake.
Can any one tell me how to remove the parking brake cable from the parking brake assembly. I cannot get enough slack in the cable to remove it. Has anyone experienced this. I did not want to post a non- performance post here but I am running out of options. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twospeed
I had no luck on any of the other forums with this. All I got was how to replace the boot and the plastic handle for appearence sake.
Can any one tell me how to remove the parking brake cable from the parking brake assembly. I cannot get enough slack in the cable to remove it. Has anyone experienced this. I did not want to post a non- performance post here but I am running out of options. Thanks in advance.

The emergency brake cable runs through the tunnel and is attached to the rear tub.

What are you trying to change ? At a minimum you would have to pull exhaust and tunnel plate to access to cable to change.

You could get some slack by removing both rear tires and taking off the emergency brake cable ends (two 15mm bolts) each side.

Why are you changing ?

Last edited by BlownVette 2001; 08-08-2007 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by twospeed

You need to disconnect the parking brake cable from the rear brakes? If so you have to bend all the tabs inward (they are all around it), use alot of patients and work it out.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I ask why you want to remove it?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

I don't want to change the cable exactly I didn't know how to phrase it the right way but here goes. My emergency brake handle will no engage anymore. There is a metal rod that runs through it and wraps around a pawl that slips into the rachet gear that holds the brake on. Well the rod on mine is fatigued and will no longer hold its shape. I cut a window in the emergency brake handle assembly and re bent it but that only held for a while. So I bought another emergency brake handle assembly but I can't get the cable off the old one because it is too tight. All I want to do is switch them out. I tried posting on other sites but all I got in the way of response was how to change the plastic handle and the boot for a red one? Thanks for the response guys.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are the book instructions.

1.) Reomove the center console and passenger seat.

2.) Disconnect the parking brake electrical connector

3.) Disable the park brake adjusters - ( Take of the two rear wheels), You'll see the parking cables attached to the levers, remove them. Best bet is to lossen the 15mm bolts that hold bracket in place.

4.) Remove the the parking brake mounting bolts.

5.) Disconnect the cable from the brake handle assembly.

Quick Reply: parking brake cable removal