Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

How well will this hold?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How well will this hold?

I'm getting ls6 clutch installed on my car. I was thinking of getting a pair of MT et Streets 275/40/17. I will just buy some cheap used corvette rims to mount them on for track only purposes. Will my clutch handle these tires? what about the corvette rear end? Is anyone else running these tires? what is the best set up for psi, burnout, launch technique? Im close to stock now, but will probably be doing h/c in the near future.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cassfrc
I'm getting ls6 clutch installed on my car. I was thinking of getting a pair of MT et Streets 275/40/17. I will just buy some cheap used corvette rims to mount them on for track only purposes. Will my clutch handle these tires? what about the corvette rear end? Is anyone else running these tires? what is the best set up for psi, burnout, launch technique? Im close to stock now, but will probably be doing h/c in the near future.
You should think about the ET Street bias ply tires, the 26x11.50x17, they have a softer wrinkle sidewall, does not shock the rear suspension as hard as the drag radials and will grip better.

What kind of power are you making, cant tell ya if the clutch is gonna hold without that info
Old 08-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he said he's close to stock... so with that assumption yes the LS6 clutch will hold.

As for the rear... experiment at your own risk...

The IRS in these cars have mainly one weak link... the left output shaft (or the long one) I forget from time to time wut side but i know its the long one .. the other one isn't much better the (right or short one) but it's less likely to break than the long one. Many people have taken a stock rear into the 10's and 11's without a problem... even more have done so with just upgrading those parts with upgraded shafts. The cost per shaft usually runs about 350-$400 last i check..

If you wanted to save money and give yourself some more peace of mind,you could buy an LS7 output shaft which is a direct replacement on the C5's. These are cheaper and hold up to the mean power of the newest Z06. I have no idea what one of those runs' price wise, but i hear they are far cheaper in comparison to the other ones offered buy the aftermarket.

Your rear should be just fine, but there is no way to 100% sure it will hold.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

This is a thread that I started on CF, It may be of help to you. Very good information on Launching technique to prevent breakage.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1775996
Old 08-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Eurospec2
You should think about the ET Street bias ply tires, the 26x11.50x17, they have a softer wrinkle sidewall, does not shock the rear suspension as hard as the drag radials and will grip better.

What kind of power are you making, cant tell ya if the clutch is gonna hold without that info

Yeah but those arent dot approved are they? I want something i can drive to and from the track. (15 miles)
Old 08-05-2007, 03:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would at minimum get a DTE brace and hardened output shaft. The rear ends in these cars are expensive.

Get the ET Drag radials. They stick like glue and handle much better on the top end.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

I installed the DTE and imput shafts on my car as well as teh Ram dual disc clutch......My stock LS6 clutch kept on getting the pedal stuck and would slip with the minor bolts on I had....With the ET streets of BFG's the clutch would not hold up to long....If I was you I would install a better clutch cause after a good season of hard launches with the stock type clutch it will go out on you....and def. support the rear end....they are famous for cracking where the rear end meets the tranny.....

Quick Reply: How well will this hold?