Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Tune In Illinois?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007 | 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Tune In Illinois?

Im installing a cam and having my heads ported and polished. Im soon to be looking for a good place to tune my car. Does anyone know of a place in Illinois near 62401 effingham area to have an ls1 with a cam tuned?

Jeff
Old 08-12-2007 | 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Make the trip north just a couple of hours and call FLP (Naperville), Speed, Inc (schaumburg), or Powerhouse Performance (orland Park, IL) for a great N/A cam only tune from any one of these tuners!
Old 08-12-2007 | 09:28 AM
Launching!

Otherwise mail order tunes are pretty poplular and effective. I've seen the afrs on a mail order tune come back dead on. So not the worst way of going, and cheaper.

But you get no sweet dyno graph at the end of day
Old 08-12-2007 | 11:05 AM
Teching In

FLP is the way to go!
Old 08-13-2007 | 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

Or Straightline Performance in New Lennox (sponsor on here).
Old 08-13-2007 | 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MagiC5
Otherwise mail order tunes are pretty poplular and effective. I've seen the afrs on a mail order tune come back dead on. So not the worst way of going, and cheaper.

But you get no sweet dyno graph at the end of day
Get it on a dyno as this is the BEST WAY for sure to make sure your tune is spot on for ulitmate performance and reliability, etc.
Old 08-14-2007 | 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chicago Crew UnderBoss
Get it on a dyno as this is the BEST WAY for sure to make sure your tune is spot on for ulitmate performance and reliability, etc.
Debatable. What if you're a turbo car, and the standard dynojet you're being tuned on isn't giving you enough of a load up high in the powerband, and it's not being compensated for?? Road/Track tuning is the absolute best way to dial the car in. You're dealing with real world factors at that point, being rolling and wind resistance, actual cooling of the radiator (and intercoolers if you have them), and the car moving it's own weight. A dyno is great for getting it close and for spitting out the numbers that everyone loves to talk about.

Trending Topics

Old 08-14-2007 | 07:57 PM
On The Tree

I agree on skipping the mail order tune.

Call Speed Inc and talk to Larry. They did a great job on my car and several of my friends cars too.
Old 08-14-2007 | 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
Debatable. What if you're a turbo car, and the standard dynojet you're being tuned on isn't giving you enough of a load up high in the powerband, and it's not being compensated for?? Road/Track tuning is the absolute best way to dial the car in. You're dealing with real world factors at that point, being rolling and wind resistance, actual cooling of the radiator (and intercoolers if you have them), and the car moving it's own weight. A dyno is great for getting it close and for spitting out the numbers that everyone loves to talk about.
Not going to disagree with you but this dude is going with a cam and not twin turbos.
Old 08-15-2007 | 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not going to disagree with you but this dude is going with a cam and not twin turbos.
I realize that, I was just debating the statement that the dyno is the absolute best way to dial in a tune. Even with just a cam only car, if the dyno isn't putting as much of a load on the car as the car would see while on the road, the tune's going to be flawed.
Old 08-16-2007 | 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
I realize that, I was just debating the statement that the dyno is the absolute best way to dial in a tune. Even with just a cam only car, if the dyno isn't putting as much of a load on the car as the car would see while on the road, the tune's going to be flawed.
Beats the heck out of a mail order tune, wouldn't you agree?
Old 08-17-2007 | 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Beats the heck out of a mail order tune, wouldn't you agree?
Depends on the tuner. I've worked with a couple who I've personally witnessed their mail order tunes go on the dyno and not need a dang thing. But in a general sense, yes, you're going to get closer on a dyno than with a mail order. Get on a Mustang or a Dyno Dynamics dyno and get that much closer....load that puppy up.
Old 08-21-2007 | 12:53 PM

The guys at FLP are a bunch of ********!! Seriously, My friend and I just finished a cam swap in his GTO and we brought it to FLP. These guys jerked us around for two days before finishing the tune. They seem to have done a good job tho. I would never go there again, they didn't seem honest and were complete dicks to us.
Old 08-23-2007 | 07:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wowimcool
The guys at FLP are a bunch of ********!! Seriously, My friend and I just finished a cam swap in his GTO and we brought it to FLP. These guys jerked us around for two days before finishing the tune. They seem to have done a good job tho. I would never go there again, they didn't seem honest and were complete dicks to us.

All my experiences were very good at FLP, and I drove 350 miles to get there. They do it right!
Old 08-24-2007 | 01:58 AM
On The Tree

what year is it?