Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Black car owners: please respond

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 01:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Black is the best looking, but my black C6 drove me nuts and it was a garage queen. Nothing like washing the car and getting that nice film of dust on it just driving it for 2 minutes down the road. Rock chips OWN the nose too, I would highly recommend getting a clear 3M bra installed the week you buy a black vehicle. It is also really fun to find new scratches and swirls everytime you wash the car.

If you have the means to wax the car almost bi-weekly, a garage to park in, 3M clear bra, then you can live with black. If I were to buy another C6, it would be Atomic Orange for sure. I get more compliments on my orange GTO than any other paint color I've owned before. Black Corvettes are the most common also.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the look of a black car. Heck black is my favorite color. My car lives out side in the parking lot of my apartment complex and is ditry most of the time. I wash it only once a week sometimes less if I get real busy. Even when it is what I consider dirty I still get compliments on it. I will by black again in the future in any sports car. The new C6Z in black is about the sexiest car I have ever seen IMO.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Of your choices, id def go with white. White C6's
Old 09-24-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Doc,
I own a Black V, and it is no longer my daily driver. If the C6 is going to be your DD, commit to washing it at least once a week. I have a MSM (Silver) C6 and it requires only a few hours each month to look good-I still wash it every weekend, but a less OCD person can get away with twice a month. As has been said, nothing looks better than a clean black car and nothing looks worse than a dirty black car. Here are a few pics of my Black V right after a good cleaning:

And one of the Silver C6, not sure when it was last cleaned for this photo:

Old 09-24-2007, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

go with white

Old 09-25-2007, 06:02 AM
12 Second Club

Coming from a silver car, dont do it. Your going from the easiest color in silver to the hardest in black.
Silver looks clean even when its dirty, but in all fairness it doesnt pop like a black car.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Black is the best looking, but my black C6 drove me nuts and it was a garage queen. Nothing like washing the car and getting that nice film of dust on it just driving it for 2 minutes down the road. Rock chips OWN the nose too, I would highly recommend getting a clear 3M bra installed the week you buy a black vehicle. It is also really fun to find new scratches and swirls everytime you wash the car.

If you have the means to wax the car almost bi-weekly, a garage to park in, 3M clear bra, then you can live with black. If I were to buy another C6, it would be Atomic Orange for sure. I get more compliments on my orange GTO than any other paint color I've owned before. Black Corvettes are the most common also.

Red is the most common. Not black.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Red is the most common. Not black.
Only if you combine both bright red and metallic red. Black is the single most popular color for 2007:

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/index...uction-Numbers
Old 09-25-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I am a bit OC with my car (not my dd suburban thought ) so I think I've been pretty much talked out of the black, and I appreciate all of your input. Everyone of your cars look so nice, but I have to admit, black definitely pops the most of all of them.

If I were to purchase today, it would have to be between an atomic orange metallic and white. Both look great. Only thing I'm a little afraid of is if I don't stay with a traditional color, will the orange be "stale" in a few years. (I plan to keep her for many years)...aahhhh decisions, decisions, decisions!

Thanks again for all your input!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onebadcad
Doc,
I own a Black V, and it is no longer my daily driver. If the C6 is going to be your DD, commit to washing it at least once a week. I have a MSM (Silver) C6 and it requires only a few hours each month to look good-I still wash it every weekend, but a less OCD person can get away with twice a month. As has been said, nothing looks better than a clean black car and nothing looks worse than a dirty black car. Here are a few pics of my Black V right after a good cleaning:

And one of the Silver C6, not sure when it was last cleaned for this photo:

Smokin hot caddy!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slow Vette
go with white

If I could talk myself into spending that much for a vehicle, one just like yours is what I'd get!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

i had a black 04 GTO, 99 For lightning... and i currently own a 2001 C5 A4 black and a 2002 silverado black.... i love the color and it looks the best with chrome upgrades in my opion bt my next corvette will we white because i love the white in the vette's i think it sticks out so much better than any of the others but i've been looking at new C6's for awhile and its between white, blue, and black again... i would say if you like cleaning cars than get black im a detailer so i have to keep mine clean... but if your willing to do that they look great!
Old 09-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Teching In

If you can stand to put in the work to keep it clean. . . .nothing reflects the light like black. . . and nothing is more intimidating!!

Old 09-25-2007, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

Black isn't a color it is a commitment. I will never own another black car if I can help it, my Z06 is a pain to keep clean.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Teching In

That Ron Fellows Z0 is an amazing looking car.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Forever Black For Me. Of course it is a "Garage KING" . 1999 purchased new off the transport currently with 19,256 miles. Caught in the rain less than 10 times so upkeep has not been a problem. BUT, my daily driver is a BLACK 2007 Silverado "Classic" and when it is clean, it RULES, so YES I will continue to buy black. I will however toss in a silver car or truck one day though, Silver is cool

Old 09-26-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

WOW! freakin nice vettes fellas! If the car I'm going to purchase was to be a garage queen, I could see black as the color of choice; however, this will be a partial DD, driving to work maybe twice/week. Honestly, I could see rock chips causing problems with the route I drive (appx 35mi up 35W each way, and oftentimes behind rock throwing 18 wheelers ) I just don't think I could stand buying a new vette, and being able to easily see the chips etc, it would drive me crazy. How is the Atomic Orange with these issues, does anyone know?
Old 09-26-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Forever Black For Me. Of course it is a "Garage KING" . 1999 purchased new off the transport currently with 19,256 miles. Caught in the rain less than 10 times so upkeep has not been a problem. BUT, my daily driver is a BLACK 2007 Silverado "Classic" and when it is clean, it RULES, so YES I will continue to buy black. I will however toss in a silver car or truck one day though, Silver is cool

One of the nicest Vettes I have ever seen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by onebadcad
One of the nicest Vettes I have ever seen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS BRO heres 2 short video clips for a little sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZIWl-PoGuI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBNqp25qon8
Old 09-27-2007, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DocT
If I could talk myself into spending that much for a vehicle, one just like yours is what I'd get!
just get a white C6(08), then get the white door handles, chrome wheels, lower it a bit, and get the GM racing spoiler, and your done

Quick Reply: Black car owners: please respond