Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Need Help ,bad vibration in c5 rearend

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help ,bad vibration in c5 rearend

I have a horrible vibration in the rear ,the only way i can discribe it ,is it sounds like a u joint going out ,@ 55mph its Horrible ,i know our c5 vettes dont have u joints ,i aslo heard a pop ,like it almost sounded like a tooth pop in a ring gear ,if any one has heard the pop i am talking about ,its pretty dang loud ,but it doesnt do this consistently ,also the popping sound was going around a curve @ 30 mph ,after i got the supercharger the new found power & my rearend dont like each other ,i will end up pulling the rear ,i am just wondering if anyone else has had this vibration in the rear of there c5 or c6s also? I appreciate any feedback i can get from u guys,i am gonna pull the rear & bullet proof both sides with hardend shafts & micropolished gears ,i just hate to know i put 2k in the rear & still have a vibration ,basically guessing that its the pumpkin going south
Old 01-03-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

you might want to remove the batteries before they run out............

Seriously though, sounds like you popped the shaft.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TXZ0603
you might want to remove the batteries before they run out............

Seriously though, sounds like you popped the shaft.
If i popped a shaft i wouldnt be able to move the car ,it would be dead water ,i have yet to figure it out,it could be something inside the boot that came loose a bearing ,clip ,etc ,it could be a number of things ,i also bought some brand new Kdw 2 bfg tires for the rear & they pick up every little noise on the road & i am hearing all kinds of stuff ,today i drove the car about 30 miles to see if i could hear anything out of the oridinary & other than the rear brakes trying to stick ,when i hit the brakes the clicking in the rear & the squeaking of the back brakes goes away also
Old 01-05-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it a roaring sound? Like , maybe a wheel/hub bearing?

The pop sound,...maybe be worn out tie rod ends... check those first.

The VIBRATION?...maybe it's a tire inbalance... like the wheel weight fell off? Or is the "vibration" really just a noise....translating through the car....

If it's a bearing...get in an area where you won't be arrested for swerving... and try some left and right manuvers... see if the noise goes away in either direction,...or gets worse.

Very hard to diagnose noise's or vibrations without seeing the car. This is coming from someone that uses chassis ears every day just about... so... hope any info helps.

best wishes.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

In high horse applications, the rubber couplers inside the torque tube get un happy and break. May want to check over on Corvetteforum and do a search. That would be my guess.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

The half shafts float on splines, and they can rust up and stick, and that can cause some popping noise. As far as vibration, that could be a lot of things. Is your car and A4 or MN6? I would pull the tranny and Torque Tube if you are pulling the read end. Things to check that is common to cause vibration would be clutch or Torque convertor, and Torque Tube couplers. But I would try to lube up the splines on the hub first and see if that helps.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would inspect and retorque all of the rear suspension components including your rear wheel lugs, axle bearings (33MM), A-arms, tie, rod ends and mounts, etc.

Is the vibration speed related or constant after a certain rpm or mph ?

Quick Reply: Need Help ,bad vibration in c5 rearend