Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Flexplate twisting apart

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flexplate twisting apart

I guess my tranny, stall and rearend are pretty strong?

Old 01-31-2008, 09:10 PM
8 Second Club

Mine did same thing locked down motor had to have it towed stock flywheels cant take the abuse wonder how many others might come apart..
Old 02-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Default Flex plate

Wow, this is the first time I have heard of anyone else having the same problem I had. My C5 had about 51,000 miles on it when mine went. Thank God for the extended warranty. I was going about 70mph and pushed the pedal to the floor. When the revs came up and it went into passing gear, the plate exploded. I heard metal bouncing off of the pavement and hitting the bottom of the car. It was an awful noise. When the flex-plate exploded it took out the bottom right side of the engine block, sheared off the starter and the engine went totally dead. I had to have it towed to the dealership. When they removed the engine, you could see into the inside of it. The most disturbing thing was that there was a piece of the starter gear from the flexplate that had gone through the bellhousing and stuck into the firewall more than 4 inches deep. The piece itself was about 10 inches long. Another couple of inches and it would have come into the inside of the car. Scarry stuff. But, Mr. Goodwrench installed a new LS1, new tranny and all is well. The dealership told me the starter ring was improperly welded to the flexplate. Guess someone in Lexington had a bad welding day. Hope yours is going to be less trouble than mine was. The dealership had my car for 5 weeks. Good Luck Mike F.