Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

spec stage 3+

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default spec stage 3+

Is any one running this clutch in the corvette ? If so do you like it ? whats the good and bad on this clutch .. I know OZtex makes a great clutch, but im not out slamming down a track at 5000 rpms .. Im more for crusing and once in awhile getting on it ... thanks jay
Old 03-22-2008, 08:59 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jay, we have used this clutch in a lot of C5's. It is in these two C5's here. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/hotCars.php?car=67
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40
Old 03-23-2008, 02:29 AM
Teching In

Hey Bob how you doing can you shot me a price of total install ??
im looking at the spec 3 + , new fly wheel (billet) , new slave cylinder and labor..thanks jay
Old 03-24-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I use it and like it, I have no compliants. I also ugraded to a billet steel fw and to 01 slave.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

I am going on year 2 with my 3+. No problems to date and I do take the car to the track at least once a month. The peddle is a little heavier, but it think this is to be expected. I launch around 2.2K on street tires and 3-3.5K when the DR's are on. Have not noticed any shuttering or any other type of clutch issues. I did upgrade the master cylinder when the change was made.

In short I am happy and no issues to date and I drive the car hard at the track.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My first, and last SPEC product. A spec stage III
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...h/Imag0133.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...Imag0135-1.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...h/Imag0132.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...h/Imag0142.jpg

and the PURPLEISH BLUEISH thing sticking in the firewall on this LAST picture...is the PRESSURE PLATE(or part of it).

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...t=Imag0145.jpg
Old 03-26-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

damn! i bet that was expensive. a blow proof bell housing would have come in handy.

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Old 03-26-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

back on topic though every clutch can do what v-seriestech happened to him. people either like a particular clutch or hate it. its give or take. its a gamble reguardless no one knows if your 1,000 dollar clutch will last 100 miles or 20,000 its just a guess. im planning on going with the spec 3 + im also getting a blow proof bell housing just in case something happens like what happpened the the guy above me
Old 03-27-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not a person that goes by hearsay. I go by experience.

i've run 4 clutches in my car. Stock, SPEC, RAM, and now textralia.

Best clucth I have ever tried in my entire life is the Textralia EXO SKEL. That my opinion,..it works for me,..and it works for my buddies.

As far as ANY clutch coming apart,..YUP, VERY possible. I even managed to have a stock clutch START to come apart(the springs that attach the persure plate disc to the presure plate spring housing, broke,..and started to come apart).

For the record,....we've had 4 corvettes, ALL LOCAL,...have a spec clutch come apart,...and all 4 cars are now totaled.

2002 Z06
2000 FRC
2005 Z51
2007 Z06

All broke.

Spec ALSO lies about there products and failures. It's not in my nature to badmouth someones product but, fact of the matter is, this company sucks ***,...MOST of there employee's suck ***.... and that the truth. If you like, i'll gladly link you to pages where they LIE through there teeth about failed products.

I used to stand by SPEC as well,...just like you ....until they gave a lack of support for there product.

Yes, a BLOW PROOF housing would have saved my car...no doubt but,...a little late for the recommendations...

This is what I use now

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...ture201117.jpg
Old 03-27-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a SPEC 3+ in my Z28. I've driven it pretty hard with 466rwhp and it's been flawless. I've never dead-hooked it on slicks/DRs, tho...
Old 03-27-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Look at these pics closely, and let the amount of damage sink in.
If this would have been a one time incident with just this car, we'd likely have skipped right over this thread and let you use the SPEC clutch, but considering it is not just one car, it is 4 cars, there is a problem.
Of these 4 cars, 2 of the Vettes had the clutch installed by (2 different) GM certified technicians in a GM dealership, so the install is out of the question.

Also, I have to mention, had this **** happened in an F-body, I would have two limping *** friends right now with half their feet missing, as there were chunks of schrapnell in the frame rail right in front of where your feet go in an F-body (center mounted frame rails in the Vette saved these guys). This is not something to argue about, it is being brought to light to inform and help people decide to stay away from these units, since they have shown a very real issue.
We have nothing to gain here.
Use the clutch if you like, but do not attempt to say this did not really happen, as it did. We are simply trying to make sure it does not happen to anyone else.
There are other local cars here that have not gone public with this as their shops try to work with SPEC on the issue, but they will be heard eventually.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Teching In

V-tech thanks for the pictures and comments !! What i would like to know , was the cars being ran hard at the time they blew or was it jus nomral driving around , when it blew ?? .. I dont drag my car , but i do sum quick sprints from time to time , no 5500 rpm hole shots etc .. jus trying to see if this is for me or not because i am on a budget .. thanks jay
Old 03-27-2008, 06:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran spec 3+ for a while 625rwhp. I loved its performance. The only thing I did not like about it was the can of marbles sound. I swapped the clutch out for and OZ series puck setup love that clutch also. My spec still looks like new and I will put it back in a heartbeat. I still have the can of marbles sound with the OZ. I wouldn`t be scared of the spec. Its a nice clutch IMO... Either clutch I think you will be fine..
Old 03-27-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jparr
V-tech thanks for the pictures and comments !! What i would like to know , was the cars being ran hard at the time they blew or was it jus nomral driving around , when it blew ?? .. I dont drag my car , but i do sum quick sprints from time to time , no 5500 rpm hole shots etc .. jus trying to see if this is for me or not because i am on a budget .. thanks jay
V-series' blew up at WOT in, as I recall, the top of 3rd gear. Said it felt like a grenade went off under the car.
I'm pretty sure the 05 Z51 (maybe the most beautiful looking/sounding C6 on the road at the time) which was totaled was at WOT as well, but neither of these cars were ever launched on even a drag radial with these clutches.
Think about how much damage needs to be done to a brand new $40,000+ car in order for it to be totaled....from a clutch.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FWIW, the C5 FRC was making 445rwhp, the C6 Z51 was at 420rwhp, both N/A.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just search the forum and you will find countless horror stories on the Spec. It is complete junk. Tex is the only clutch worth having IMO. I ran one in my T/A and it drove like stock and held like crazy.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

The junkie is correct....he speaks the truth. These are simply answers to the question,..Do you like the SPEC clutch?... My answer is no,...and this is the reason(see above).

At the time, I was at the top of third gear, at WOT,....mentally preparing to shift into 4th,...roughly 5300ish or around....the pressure plate came apart. The BLACKBULLET Z51 was doing exactly the same thing. That was a SPEC 5.

You guys do what you like,...it's your choice. Just saying from OUR personal dealing with them,..I would not recommend there product.

And for the record, I have replaced numerous SPEC clutches for free out of various vehicles,...cause I was the person the recommend there product to them. I didn't want to be responsible for somebody loosing there legs.

Everybody talks ****, until it happens to them. Then it happens to a buddy,...then it just enrages you...then somebody else,..local...then what....how do you feel then?... Then, it happens again. Now, thats just locally. I have recieved COUNTLESS emails and PM's from numerous random people that have had the exact same problem.

AGain, your call. Just putting the info out there. AT the time, these cars where ONLY street driven, NEVER have they seen a hard launch or sticky tires. They where NUMEROUSLY powershifted,....numerously.... but, isn't that why we BUY performance clutches,....so they can hold power.

Have a good weekend.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:41 PM
10 Second Club

i love mine i installed it myself so i personally know it was done right and i dont trust anyone else working on my car no matter how many certs they have. im on my second year with this clutch and i broke it in properly. my car makes 520rwhp and 518rwtq, and i go to the track very often and pull 1.50 60fts with slicks on the back. also has awesome road manners unlike other clutches i have felt. so my take is i love it and would recommend it and ive seem problems with other clutches on the market so there is always gonna be problems with any product.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lucky you.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

I have a Mcleod twin and love it as well, not cheap though.