Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

damn these cars are low...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default damn these cars are low...

I have hit a parking block twice now when parking and it is pissing me off. It seems that if you pull too far forward, you end up hitting a square tubing brace underneath the front on the left and right side, they are black. I have now managed to scrape some paint off of them.
Has anyone else had this problem? Guess I just have to get used to how far I can pull up to a parking block, I have only had the car a little over a week now.

Dean
Old 09-09-2003, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: damn these cars are low...

It is definitely something you have to get used to. And you cannot "feel" for that parking block like you used to. There is something called "framesavers" that you can bolt on to those square tubes. They have little wheels on them so they roll over ****. Anyway, something to think about. I think you would be hard pressed to find a Vette that didn't have scraped up frame tubes down there. You also need to make sure you alert your wife to this phenomenon since she may have a tendency to "feel" for things with the nose of the car as well.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, thanks John. I know the air dam is spring loaded, and good thing because it scrapes on damn near everything!
Old 09-09-2003, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should see mine
Old 09-09-2003, 03:26 PM
Teching In

My car is lowered on the stock bolts and my air damn scrapes on EVERYTHING! Not to mention that right after i lowered it i hit a severe incline at the wrong angle and bashed in the front piece. Fortunatly a heat gun helped to mold it back into place. But i wouldnt trade in the lowered look.

Old 09-09-2003, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car is lowered on the stock bolts and my air damn scrapes on EVERYTHING! Not to mention that right after i lowered it i hit a severe incline at the wrong angle and bashed in the front piece. Fortunatly a heat gun helped to mold it back into place. But i wouldnt trade in the lowered look.

Looks sweet!
If my car was lowered, I'd be holding my breath everytime I went over a bump, or up or down an incline.

Dean
Old 09-10-2003, 06:49 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, did that right after I got mine. Now, I just don'r pull up. But, a set of frame savers will do the trick if you intend on pulling up all the way in those places.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

ive hit the front end of the C4 a few times...the black piece up front is bent up, and scraped and all that.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Looks sweet!
If my car was lowered, I'd be holding my breath everytime I went over a bump, or up or down an incline.

Dean
I have to hold my breath each time I go over something. Mines lowered with longer bolts in the back and I cut the bushings on the front. But it looks Damn good!
Old 09-11-2003, 01:17 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

That front metal frame is easy to replace. After plowing into a cantalope sized rock on the highway, mine was bent to hell. I think it cost around $60-$120 and it took about 2 hours to replace it.

The front air dams are also cheap..I replace them every 6-12 months.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

That front metal frame is easy to replace. After plowing into a cantalope sized rock on the highway, mine was bent to hell. I think it cost around $60-$120 and it took about 2 hours to replace it.

The front air dams are also cheap..I replace them every 6-12 months.
WOW... the price of owning a low car! The real problem is that the roads are not level, flat or maintenanced well and most driveways and entrances are more suited for SUVs. You would think that when the contractors grade entrances, etc., that they would look at worst case and design for the low clearance vehicles and everything else would be fine. It seems that the industrial side of engineering hasn't grasped this concept of "worse case scenario", or the contractors are incompetent or just plain don't give a ****. But we have all seen the steep entrances to parking lots that will kill any sports car, what are they thinking...guess they aren't.
Stepping down from soap box....
Old 09-12-2003, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

You would think that when the contractors grade entrances, etc., that they would look at worst case and design for the low clearance vehicles and everything else would be fine. It seems that the industrial side of engineering hasn't grasped this concept of "worse case scenario", or the contractors are incompetent or just plain don't give a ****. But we have all seen the steep entrances to parking lots that will kill any sports car, what are they thinking...guess they aren't.
You would think thats the case..but it aint. There are some kickass engineers/contractors etc out there who will say that it cannot be done that way, but then it comes down to whether the customer/state wants to pay for the changes. Sadly, "worst case scenario" is used in some design principles, but it would help too that common sense is used just as much.

Quick Reply: damn these cars are low...