VERY dissapointing night....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default VERY dissapointing night....

Was only able to make one full pass due to clutch slipping.

2.97- 60ft
6.51- 330ft
8.71- 594ft
9.178 @ 95.51mph

Car was on low boost making around 580-600rwhp or so
Raceweight = 3900lbs with me in it- pure street car w/amps and sub
Crap 2-second burnout on worn out, 3yr old dry-rotted Nittos
Forgot to lower tire pressure so 30PSI of course!! (what I drove there on)
STOCK ten-bolt (ran out of money for now) so I left very easy
Loaded the clutch and left at 3500rpm

This was probably my 10th time going down the track. Last time was five years ago when the car was a 380rwhp cam only car so I was trying to take it easy for the first run. Didn't know it would be the only run.

I didn't think to feather the throttle and short-shifted first due to spinning. I spun all the way through second fishtailing WOT and spun halfway through third. Car definitely needs driver mod.

I was thinking though, even if I nailed some awesome 1.5 60ft, that would still put me in the 7.7 range? Thats horrible. I was expecting a 6.xx at 100+mph even with a crappy 1.9 60ft.

I did a full burnout the next time around on 14lbs of boost but the clutch bit the dust.

So next time: better burnout, better tires, use all of first gear, don't spin through second and third, and more boost.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I don't live anywhere near KY!! Would hate to have to line up against a car that is a time bomb waiting to happen with a driver behind a wheel of a 500+hp car that doesn't pay attention to detail.

If you make that much power, fix your car to handle the power before you hurt yourslef or someone else.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Default et

i have a 98 ta with a 408 ci iron block all bolt ons with a d1sc at 12 psi with a rpm level 4 6 speed spec 3 clutch and a pretty much stock 10 bolt with 373s with a 1.926 60 ft it went 7.421 @103.47 mph in the 1/8 and 11.218@ 134.26mph in the 1/4 just tryin to get into the 10s with the 10 bolt !!! then moser 9 inch goin in
Old 07-27-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The car is making the power for a 10 sec slip BUT getting a turbo 6 speed car to launch without and errors is TUFF! Most turbo people with 6 speeds run a two step to help launching. Your 60' and your shifting gotta be dead on if you want that 10 second slip.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAGOES11S
Glad I don't live anywhere near KY!! Would hate to have to line up against a car that is a time bomb waiting to happen with a driver behind a wheel of a 500+hp car that doesn't pay attention to detail.

If you make that much power, fix your car to handle the power before you hurt yourslef or someone else.
Damn, did I make myself out to be that much of a tool? Sorry I'm not John Force. Nothing to worry about really. Only mistake I made was not lowering tire pressure resulting in tire spin. No big deal, car was under control. I've done burnouts at 80+mph on the freeway in cold weather so I'm fairly used to spinning. As far as the car not being 'ready' for the track, I had no idea that every f-body had a 12bolt or a 9inch underneath it. I must be behind.... Anyway, because of the stock rear, that was why I left easy, hence the 3.0 second 60ft.

30th T/A:
You're absolutely right. I've been looking at a 2-step for weeks now. I would like to pick one up used though so I'll wait until I see a good deal.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think if you eased out of the whole and gunned it in second you would do a mid to low 8 pretty easy. I raced a vortech mustang cobra M5 and he ran a 8.698 with alot less MPH and a 2.4 60'. I bet his car only made about 400RWHP if that.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Banned

What the hell does KY have to do with your comment? Guy perhaps ran at Ohio Valley. It really doesn't matter - the vehicle went through tech. They don't ask if the clutch slips. They looked at the tires. Is your car legal to run 10's? You're running a 150 shot on a stock bottom end? That's sort of a time bomb in my mind.

I'll be coming from Ohio to The GREAT State up North Michigan this Friday. Visiting Milan again. Everyone I've met, even knowing I live in Ohio, has been friendly. What the hell is your problem?

If the NHRA and IHRA inspected every car as they should. You wouldn't be seeing too many cars on the track. Just for the hell of it since you run Nitrous. Do you show NOS on the back window? Do you have a NOS vent?

Ky driver, get a clutch and go racing again. Thanks for testing at the track!!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Launching!

J- I'm by far not a super **** tech guy... but damn, he even stated he was racing on Dry rotted tires? Then not doing the very basics like checking tire pressure before running down the track? Fish tailing in 2nd? You have to be semi responsible before you get behind a 500+ hp car! Thats my problem. Don't want him or anyone around him getting hurt.

Yep mine is legal for 10s, been running a 150 shot since I bought the car new in 99 and the stock bottem end is doing just fine after 100+ bottles.

SStolen - Definetely sounds like a bad *** car! Just get a few things done to the car like you stated and keep banging gears with the rest of us 6-speed guys! Sounds like a little practice and you'll be all set. Sorry to come across so negative.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:09 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a tough ride once you get the little things worked out

If you haven't found one already, it's not too late to get in on the super throw down Monster Clutch sale that ends this week

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-30-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

...he even stated he was racing on Dry rotted tires?

SStolen - Definetely sounds like a bad *** car! Just get a few things done to the car like you stated and keep banging gears with the rest of us 6-speed guys! Sounds like a little practice and you'll be all set. Sorry to come across so negative.
Thanks Tagoe and no worries. lol... just to straighten a few things out; my tires are not literally dryrotted. They have hardened a little due to being old as drag radials do when they age. They don't hook as well as a newer set of Nitto's; put it that way. And my rear was only getting a 'little' loose. I was not literally fishtailing through second gear. You probably couldn't even tell if you were watching from the crowd but I could feel it -the car was going completely straight.
I think you're imagining a worse case scenario. I will be MUCH more selective when I choose my verbage on this site to describe anything next time around . Take care.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It takes time to shake all of the bugs out of a car. You're in an awesome spot right now whether you realize it or not. Almost everything you do traction and clutch-wise is going to drop your ET. Your MPH on a dead hook is good for some 7.50's just to let you know.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, if your clutch is slipping, then you're not putting all the power down. So your mph could be quite a bit higher with a good clutch.

Are you powershifting? Helps a lot on any car, and even more on boost cars.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
It takes time to shake all of the bugs out of a car. You're in an awesome spot right now whether you realize it or not. Almost everything you do traction and clutch-wise is going to drop your ET. Your MPH on a dead hook is good for some 7.50's just to let you know.
I guess I'm pretty positive on where I'm at too. 95mph was on low boost and no methanol. I still have about 160more rwhp to put down still. I ordered a Monster Stage 4.5 clutch today so I don't think the clutch will be giving me anymore problems. Between the extra boost, the clutch not slipping and the tires actually getting traction, I'm hoping to trap about 102-104mph next time regardless of ET. This car is easily capable of running a 6.9 or maybe even a 6.8 in the right conditions... for example, I'm going to do some weight reduction for the next run down the track as well. Removing the seats, amp rack and sub, front sway bar, and front bumper support should take out almost 130lbs. I'll keep you guys posted.

edit: I was thinking. I'll also drop my factory Z28 caback and just run open Y/cutouts. And I can switch out my heavy yellowtop battery and stock power driver seat for a lightweight battery and aluminum Kirkey racing seat my buddy has. Thats another easy 70-80 lbs so my car should be at least 200lbs lighter than the last run!!

Last edited by SStolen; 07-30-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by krazy4
Also, if your clutch is slipping, then you're not putting all the power down. So your mph could be quite a bit higher with a good clutch.

Are you powershifting? Helps a lot on any car, and even more on boost cars.
NO powershifting. Actually, the exact opposite. I've had tranny problems in the past, not on this tranny, so I subconcsiously make myself shift fairly easy/slowly. I let the shifter fall into gear; I never force it. The turbo's are definitely losing spool time and I'm probably wasting another 2, maybe 3 tenths in shifting alone. People think I'm a bad driver but thats not the case. I can drive my car hard, I just choose not to. I'd rather have more power on tap to make up for not driving the car hard. I'll continue to shift easy and 60ft easy until I see progress with the clutch and tires. Once I see that progress, I'll start to get more aggresive in order to reach my goal of sub 7's. Cheers!