Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which wheel studs (NHRA) for Bogarts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which wheel studs (NHRA) for Bogarts?

Trying to bring my car 'closer' to legal.

Also trying to stick with a 12mm wheel stud. It looks like there are only two choices right now. The ARP "slightly longer" stud, and the GM "long" truck stud. I have a set of 10 ARP studs, and a set of 10 studs from Moser (which are identical to the ARP's except they're black in coloration). My gut says that the ARP's won't be 'technically' long enough. I know that the stud needs to protrude in to the hex threaded portion of the lug nut by the diameter of the stud... That means that the stud needs to stick out past the Bogart wheel face by 12mm plus the thickness of the washer (~2mm).

Will the ARP's get me there, or should I order up a set of the GM 68mm long studs? I've not had a chance to even look at my car in the last 4 days to see if it'll work, and I won't even see my car until Thursday.

Thanks,

Andrew

Old 09-16-2003, 03:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Which wheel studs (NHRA) for Bogarts?

Andrew,

You have mail.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

The long GM wheel studs in the front where long enough. The 1/2" stud the came with my moser were plenty long enough.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:05 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

I snapped those GM studs driving around. ARP's work well.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:00 PM
Restricted User

Hmm, I also need longer studs. ARP's a nogo with Welds up front. Had Lingenfelters black with a little knub tip, just the right length, but POS kept snapping.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:28 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 5/8 inch studs in the back and 1/2 inch studs in the front.

I did bend the rear 1/2 inch studs in about 30 passes. If you are going to race your Hot Rod go with the 5/8 inch studs.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks guys.

Well, the LPE studs are the same as the GM studs... I knew about 4mulaJoe's bad luck, but I didn't know someone else had broken them.

I don't want to go bigger quite yet, because I'm probably going to sell or trade out this 12-bolt for a 9 inch. I don't want a spool, but the 12-bolt doesn't have any options other than spool or the Eaton posi. The 9 inch has many more options available (lockers etc). So I don't want to impact the resale value of the rear.

I'll just try the ARP/Moser studs that I have, I suppose. I'll get them installed next week and see how it turns out.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 09-16-2003, 08:27 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

The GM ones that I snapped were up front. IO replaced them with ARP's and never looked back. I'm running 1/2 inch ARP's in the rear with no problems also.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:44 PM
Restricted User

are the half inch arp's longer? I need somethign longer in the front.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got some 1/2"x3" studs and cut them to length with a porta band. Had 2-3 bent 12mm factory studs on each rear wheel. Do yourself a favor and get at least 1/2". I got the open end lugs from Steve10.

Bruce
Old 10-02-2003, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just thought I'd post an update for the archives...

I purchased 10 ARP's and 10 "long studs" from Moser. Turns out that the Moser long studs are identical to the ARPs. They're not ARP (they're black and don't have ARP stamped on the head), but physically they are the same length and dimensions.

The ARP's went in the 12-bolt axles, and the Mosers went in the front spindles. The ARPs *are* long enough with the Bogart wheels on the rear. They stick past the washer slightly more than the diameter of the stud (have not measured, but it's obvious). They do not stick all the way through an open end lug nut tho (but that's not a requirement anyway).

On the front, it's very close with the Bogarts. My feeling is that if I do an actual measurement, the stud will come up 1mm-2mm short. This is with no spacer (we ground my front calipers to fit the Bogarts and got rid of the spacers I was running).

The studs used were the 12mm variety. I can still run my normal wheels this way, and don't have to get any new lug nuts. I have not fit my 'long' plastic caps yet, but I think they'll work (GM has some long plastic lug caps that I use on my '94Z, and they'll work here too).

FWIW.

Andrew