Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro Street engine siezed up HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Street engine siezed up HELP!

engine siezed up on my
how do I get it unsiezed? Should i take off the timing cover and twist it with a harmonic balancing kit to rotate the cam shaft? Would that unsieze the motor?

ideas?
Old 12-18-2008, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Should I take off the timing cover and use a harmonic balancer to try and move the crank or cam shaft to unsieze it? ANy other adivse would be appreciated. We did put oil in it and are letting it sit over night... so hopefully it will turn over
Old 12-18-2008, 01:35 AM
Teching In

i've decided im going to use a breaker bar and try and break it loose
Old 12-18-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The internal combustion is designed to rotate in a clockwise direction. If it seizes and therefore preventing it from rotating a breaker bar will do you no good. You can’t “unseize” it. Remove the spark plugs and it should rotate fairly easy. If it does not, there is no need to force it. If something internal is keeping it from rotating, it needs to be disassembled and the reason found why it no longer rotates.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

def. dissasemble it. Do not turn it with a breaker bar, i have witnessed rods get bent that way.
at least pull the spark plugs out and see if it is hydro-locked.

you say that you did put oil in it and let it sit, does that mean that you ran it without oil in it?
Old 12-18-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

was it running and it seized up or has it just sat for a long time and seized up because of age? How do you know its seized up, did you try to crank it and it won't rotate? Put oil in it, does that mean you pulled the plugs and put oil in the cylinders, removed the heads and put oil in the cylinders? You need to be A LOT more specific.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Teching In

I live on the coast and deal with outboards and salt air on a regular basis. An outboard being siezed does not mean it is nessesarily damaged. Usually I just pull the plugs, use seafoam and let it soak for a few days. Usually all it means is that the walls got damp and have slightly rusted at the rings. Doesnt take much rust to cause it to sieze. FWIW my friend got a used 150 outboard that was siezed for next to nothing sprayed it down and broke it free and has had no issues with it in 2 years.
Usually bearings are not going to crap out by not running. Just dont force it or you will have a prob. I would check the springs to make sure all the valves are up and one didnt crack and is hitting a piston. On a high end engine I would scope it first to assure that the walls are in acceptable condition. Usually I pull plugs and seafoam the engine prior to storage for this very reason around here.