Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheely/traction bars on FWD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003 | 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Default wheely/traction bars on FWD?

I was at the dragstrip recently and saw a front wheel drive car with wheeley bars hanging off the back of it. I was right at the staging light and watch him as he took off, and there wasn't even a noticable shake on them when he launched. the guy ran 8.9x in the quarter mile, which leads me to believe he knows something about racing. but the wheels on his wheeley bars were never closer than 1.5" to the ground. what's up with that?

Old 10-19-2003 | 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: wheely/traction bars on FWD?

weight transfer pulls the front end of the car up to the point where a front wheel drive car will lose all traction

alot of guys will have the wheelie bars so they hit the ground on the launch to not let the front end come up
Old 10-19-2003 | 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

um...8.9 ET is a setup that is pretty well running bro old school meets new school. sorta. the fwd need wheelie bars to load the front end the keep the front slicks full contact patch working properly. if you ever drove any fwd car you would notice the big front to rear shift in weight distribution and when mixed with a lot of tq, it lifts the front end lossing traction. they do NOT want to hang the front end off the ground
Old 10-19-2003 | 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast
20 Year Member

some of the imports actually have hydraulics on very long wheelie bars. they are lowered on the starting line to lift on the rearend and place extra weight on the front tires.