Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech guru's--Battery disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tech guru's--Battery disconnect

OK, I'm square on most of the rules, but have 1 question. Can I have my disconnect rigged for "Pull Off" instead of "Push Off" ? All I can see is that it has to kill the car, and be clearly marked. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure, but I think that is just one of the industry standards. The emergency stops or "E-Stop's" on everything I can think of are pushed to engage / activate.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

I got it rigged right. Just needed to step back and take one of those 10 minute breaks
Old 04-26-2009, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

most kits are set to pull on and push off! this way if you spin and hit the back of the car, it pushes it for you.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

And actually, I just found in the IHRA book where it says on/off or Push Off specifically.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

yeah, the push is DESIGNATED. . . say the handle was vibrating (nothing ever vibrates on our cars) and the handle came off. . . easier to push.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:34 AM
11 Second Club

"IF" its a push/pull type shut off the "push" has to kill the car. Ofcourse the sticker has to clearly indicate "push off" too.

-Mark
Old 04-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The point of the switch is to get the car turned off in the event of a wreck. Now if 95-99% of cars that have this switch one way and you dont, then the guys at the track may not pay attention and could lead to potential disaster. Regardless of the tech rule book, I would think logically and make it just like every other car out there.

Also picking the brain of a good tech inspector never hurts.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

PUSH = OFF, Not "Jerk off"...
Rule book, NHRA, clearly states that a push/pull sw, MUST have push as the action to turn the sw off.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:32 AM
FormerVendor

I was wondering the same thing when we were installing mine. I hate having that rod sticking out 6 inches from the back. though i am starting to get used to it. I don't see a lot of reasons why it can't be pull off. The Only one we really came up with is that its simply easier to bang it in rather then grabbing and pulling out. There should only be one method for consistency purposes. If i was approaching a reck the last thing i would want to do is try to read a lable to see which it is. Has to be one or the other on all cars.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
I was wondering the same thing when we were installing mine. I hate having that rod sticking out 6 inches from the back. though i am starting to get used to it. I don't see a lot of reasons why it can't be pull off. The Only one we really came up with is that its simply easier to bang it in rather then grabbing and pulling out. There should only be one method for consistency purposes. If i was approaching a reck the last thing i would want to do is try to read a lable to see which it is. Has to be one or the other on all cars.
Holy ****, this phucker's alive????

I got it all figured out. I'm not thrilled about the way it looks, but it'll do.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:53 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
Holy ****, this phucker's alive????

I got it all figured out. I'm not thrilled about the way it looks, but it'll do.
I wasn't having any of that Swine flu BS, not to mention i was about 1000miles from mexico city in cabo.

I'll take some pictures of my setup when i get a chance and send them to you. Its funny i said the same thing as you when i put mine on. I wanted to put duck tape accross the bumper and write PULL OFF in magic marker, nick wasnt having it.

Intakes almost done.

Last edited by Mike@HSW; 04-28-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by yrlosing
most kits are set to pull on and push off! this way if you spin and hit the back of the car, it pushes it for you.
you would have to go straight into the wall for that to happen. more then likely you would side swipe it which could actually bend the rod since its sticking out quite a bit. Hitting at an angle could easily bend or brake it. it was actually one of the reasons we thought the pull off would be better.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

you would have to go straight into the wall for that to happen. more then likely you would side swipe it which could actually bend the rod since its sticking out quite a bit. Hitting at an angle could easily bend or brake it. it was actually one of the reasons we thought the pull off would be better.
i have seen a complete roll over and a car spin three times (hitting the wall with both ends) and still had to shut the switch off!

so yeah! i know what your saying. i was just stating what was told to me by techs at all the tracks i have been too. and of course there just stating what the rule book says.

i acutually mounted my switch under my rear bumper (71 elcamino) so i didn't mess with any body panels. just had a little handle with a bowtie (air cleaner nut) on the end and made little stickers to say on/off, that went on the bumper. always passed tech, in 3 states.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by yrlosing
i have seen a complete roll over and a car spin three times (hitting the wall with both ends) and still had to shut the switch off!
lol i knew you'd have some crazy example of how it did happen. It certainly could happen, really just a matter of luck. Like i said, its really about just being consistent, so tell jeremy to stop being
Old 04-28-2009, 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

lol i knew you'd have some crazy example of how it did happen. It certainly could happen, really just a matter of luck. Like i said, its really about just being consistent, so tell jeremy to stop being
WTF did I do? I got mine rigged correctly. I turned the switch around and manipulated the bracket to make it work correctly
Old 04-28-2009, 08:16 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
WTF did I do? I got mine rigged correctly. I turned the switch around and manipulated the bracket to make it work correctly
still