Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb guys, how much to convert from efi???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
when you race on small tires and make north of 1000 hp the box becomes a must... and yes a big fuel pump is needed to make big HP... i would not cut anything off that stock harness... i might undo the pins to the ecu but even at that i'd be skeptical of a electrical fire.... i wouldnt run any racecar off the reluctor wheel in the back of these motors.... that thing is pressed on... a flying magnet is a must also for a fast car....
Just remembered I posted in this thread....

Why is the box a must? The stock computer will do a hell of alot more that that MSD box will. I do run a progressive controller to help get the power down but we use the stock PCM to control the timing.

If you have a Walbro 255 in the tank it will feed what? 6-650rwhp @ 40-50 psi? It will do twice that amount on a carbed setup @ 8psi. The stock lines will be the restriction, not the pump. I'm not saying that it's not a good idea to run a bigger pump, by all means if you can afford a MagnaFuel 500 then put it on there. I was just telling this guy that he does have other options other than the MSD conversion and re-doing his fuel system completely.

I didn't just cut the harness and leave them dangling, everything was covered multiple times and routed out of the way of all moving parts and heat. It's been like that for over two years and I've never had a problem.

Why do you think a flying magnet is a must? So far my setup has made over 700rwhp on one kit and been low 9's @ 145. If all goes well it will do some 8.9X's this year. In my book that's pretty fast, especially for a little stock cube motor.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im assuming youre refering to the 6010/12 boxes... The stock ECU cant do 1/2 of what a dig7 can.

With a dig7, distributor, and flying magnet setup I can: control individual cylinder timing, have 3 stage retards that can be programmed to ramp in and/or out based on time or RPM, 3 rev limiters (burnout rev limit, 2step limit, max rpm limit), I can control the slew rate to limit rate of RPM increase vrs time. and thats just what I can remember off the top of my head.

To be competitive in a 275 radial class, all those features can give you an advantage over the next guy.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was talking about the 6010 box, Not the Dig7.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:33 AM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just checked back on this.... the 6010 box is a joke.... the only box worth having is a programmable one the digi7 7531
Old 05-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back from the dead...What did you guys do for belt setup since the pump has to be moved out WITH THE DIZZY AND THE COVER?