Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery relocation with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 12:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LadyDriven
That on/off plate is really nice! Where'd you get it?
I got it from Jeg's

Here is the one I have:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10345/10002/-1

They make it in a polished finish:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10347/10002/-1

And they make it in black:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10346/10002/-1
Old 01-03-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anything in the rulebook that says the battery box has to be metal? Most I see are made of metal just wondeirng before I start planning my batt reloc.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

No it does not have to be metal. Moroso makes an abs plastic one that is nhra approved, that's what I used.

My thought on the metal box vs plastic: Metal box is conductive, and when mounted to the chassis is now grounded, you have any type of insulation failure on a positive wire coming in or out of the metal box, and you could have a problem.

I went with the plastic, for that reason and that reason alone. Metal ones look nicer, but that thought of what would happen was in the back of my mind. I've seen cars catch on fire because a battery shorted out.... no thanks.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is possible, but with mine being mounted on plywood which is the main reason I used plywood, I shouldn't have any issues. Plus the grommets Moroso used on the box to run the cables through are pretty thick.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
No it does not have to be metal. Moroso makes an abs plastic one that is nhra approved, that's what I used.

My thought on the metal box vs plastic: Metal box is conductive, and when mounted to the chassis is now grounded, you have any type of insulation failure on a positive wire coming in or out of the metal box, and you could have a problem.

I went with the plastic, for that reason and that reason alone. Metal ones look nicer, but that thought of what would happen was in the back of my mind. I've seen cars catch on fire because a battery shorted out.... no thanks.
I agree, didnt see anything in the sticky about it but I always see metal boxes. Does the plastic battery box really need to be NHRA approved?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, unfortunately it needs the nhra approval. Moroso box is approved, and every tech guy across the country knows it, so I went that route, makes tech easy. I think Jaz has one that's approved as well.

nhra requirments, pita somtimes but they're there to keep us and everyone around us as safe as they can.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Yes, unfortunately it needs the nhra approval. Moroso box is approved, and every tech guy across the country knows it, so I went that route, makes tech easy. I think Jaz has one that's approved as well.

nhra requirments, pita somtimes but they're there to keep us and everyone around us as safe as they can.
I fully agree

Quick Reply: Battery relocation with pics.