Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnout paint protection

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used the painters tape this weekend and it worked great! Forgot to put some tape on the inner fender wells and got a little rubber there. What is the best way to get rid of that without harming the paint?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bug and tar remover.

Then re-wax.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
^^^If you run your car at the track then it is not going to stay clean. I don't care what track you are at the car is going to get dirt and dust all over it. Unless you are one of those guys that parks way out in the grass and doesn't run their car. Just my .02
Hahaha I don't drive 80 miles one way to not race my car, I run until I lose every single weekend and my reserved parking space is on asphalt. As far as you can't keep a car clean while it's at the track?? Are you serious? You can come watch my car stay spotless after 10 passes or more and it's black and looks like a mirror from the moment I arrive until the minute I leave. Its called a microfiber towel and a bottle of detailer and 1-2 minutes after every round for a quick wipe down. It's not a big deal, especially when you take pride in both your car's performance and its aesthetics.

Everyone hear locally takes great pride in the way their cars looks. Like I said, different folks and different strokes.

Last edited by 358chevycamaro; 10-19-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

if you use pledge or anything like that make sure you dont let it sit there for days. It leave a film thats hard to get off. I've done it out of lazyness a few times. Now i just dont put anything on it, clean with some stoner bug and tar remover and a plastic razorblade
Old 10-22-2009, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 358chevycamaro
Why not spend $.99 on a can of cooking spray or some burnout guard? I think the tape just looks real tacky.
x2 on the tape. We always spot the noobs and rookies by the tape on the rear quarter. Sometimes I forget to put pam or silicone on mine. Couple days later I spray the area with a strong degreaser (dilluted motor degreaser) followed by simple green and wipe/rinse it off. Its a hella mess on the driveway though.

the texas mile guys aren't trying to protect from rubber all over the back of their cars....they are protecting from rocks
Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bracketracerZ28
I bought a silicone spray from Ace. Works good. Pam works as well as pledge furniture polish. The clear plastic from 3m is a pain. There is a thread where a guy used the mud flaps (for lack of a better word) from a new Z06. looks pretty good
pledge here...wroks great,
Old 10-24-2009, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bracketracerZ28
x2 on the tape. We always spot the noobs and rookies by the tape on the rear quarter. Sometimes I forget to put pam or silicone on mine. Couple days later I spray the area with a strong degreaser (dilluted motor degreaser) followed by simple green and wipe/rinse it off. Its a hella mess on the driveway though.

the texas mile guys aren't trying to protect from rubber all over the back of their cars....they are protecting from rocks
lol i wasnt a newbie to the track just a newbie to keeping the car spotless. The paint def sucks, glad i always had someone to put it on for me. If you put a lot of rubber on the rear pannels then you dont have to worry about rocks messing up the paint
Old 10-24-2009, 11:07 AM
9 Second Club

I tried spraying some PAM cooking spray on the car when I hit the track last week. I did it before anything was on there and it was still alot of work to get the rubber off. It melted the rubber and it smeared when I wiped it off. It may have been just a tiny bit easier but in reality as stated in this thread already bug and tar remover along with some elbow grease and time.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Im trying to get a nice collection going
Old 10-26-2009, 07:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JFM-jr
I tried spraying some PAM cooking spray on the car when I hit the track last week. I did it before anything was on there and it was still alot of work to get the rubber off. It melted the rubber and it smeared when I wiped it off. It may have been just a tiny bit easier but in reality as stated in this thread already bug and tar remover along with some elbow grease and time.

When I used pam I had the same experience. The Giddex Burnout Guard does not melt the rubber. It doesn't hose off like the bottle says but it does just wipe right off with the wash mit. I ruined a wash mit with pam when the melted rubber got all in the fibers. With Giddex, no problems.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

I used the Rejex like some suggested earlier. 9 passes on Fri night and 6 passes saturday. Didn't touch the car till Sunday. Took a spray bottle with water and sprayed it down...then wiped off with a blue shop towel. Wiped right up! left no streaky rubber marks...Rejex did what it said it would do- I'm sold!
Old 10-29-2009, 05:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Spray wd-40 on a paper towel and wipe it on my 1/4's
Old 10-31-2009, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

I dont use anything, just clean it off with some Mothers showtime when I go home. It has never ever really been a problem to get off. I also wax my car alot, so maybe that helps. Most of it just wipes of by hand.
PS My car also stays very clean at the track, california car duster, showtime and a micro fiber towel works for me and takes 2 min.

Quick Reply: Burnout paint protection