Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird power steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009 | 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

Default weird power steering issue

Just curious if anybody has ever ran into this before. I was at the track a few weeks ago,and after my last pass i popped the hood and i had a trail of power steering fluid on the hood,and of course slathered around by the belt. Filled it back up checked to make sure it wasnt leaking, and started on the 2.5hour trip home. Got most of the way there and no power steering, engine bay was a mess. Put more in at a gas station, drove home cleaned her up, ran it on the hoist for 20 min. Not a drop of fluid. Put a new pump and pressure line on anyway. Took it to the track last weekend. Checked it after every pass. All was good till the last pass. Then i noticed some fluid tossed around by the belt. Nothing major, but a small mess nonetheless.

It seems to only do it if i shift above 7k. I dont know if it is the pump,or the rack venting fluid, as it obviously doesnt have a leak under normal conditions. The pump does look dry. I didnt get it in the air yet, but from what i could see the rack looked dry as well. Rack is 2years old with probably less than 2k miles on it. The only things that are original are the resevoir,and the return hose.

I know this is strange, but has anybody ever had this issue before?? It really pisses me off to have a oily mess in the engine compartment. Of course it doesnt help that it is getting on the belt and throwing it everyplace. (which also makes it hard to believe it is the rack, getting it on the belt.) Any imput would be appriciated.