Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launching a M6 with linelock ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launching a M6 with linelock ?

In the past I use my linelock for the burn-out only. then I stage the car, brings up the RPMs and quickly release the clutch.

Last time out I broke 2 teeth on the ring gear, so I am considering ways to reduce shock on the drivetrain. Another racer told me to trip the 1st light and then engage the linlock. Slip the clutch and bump the car up to the second light. At that point release the linelock, push in the clutch and bring up my revs. He says that by applying the linelock the drivetrain gears will stay meshed, thus reducing the shock. My question is will this work? It seems to me that as soon as you push in the clutch, the drivetrain goes slack.

I have also heard of people staging with the linelock, slipping the clutch to say 3K RPMs and then launching. But this seems like this would heat the clutch up, possibly glazing it.

Anyway does anyone here use the linelock to stage?
Thanks
Chris
Old 09-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With Fbodies, sometimes when people throw up revs sometimes the car pushes as the clutch is not disengaging properly and it is dragging. If the track is level and the car is not pushing then a line lock at launch should not be needed at all.

From what that other guy was describing was that he is using the linelock to trip the 2nd beam at the earliest possible second as in he sometimes goes too far or he wants it ultra consistant. Once the Linelock is released the drivetrain should "un-mesh" like you said.

If people are using linelock to calm down a car either does not know how to race or their tire/suspension/race weight combo is insufficent for the power the car is making and cannot account for variable track conditions.

IMO, how you do it as how I do it. Get some water on the tires, line lock on, dump, burn, release line lock, and it should grab and then line up in the groove.

Last edited by JL ws-6; 09-23-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Out of the groove with a drag radial car?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

id purchase a 2 step
Old 09-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking Line loc

I use my line loc for burnout/& when i stage....once i am staged i set line loc & release clutch a lil to remove all slack from r&p & preload if you will the gears.broke 2 teeth at the first lsx shootout.i am running a 8.5 10 bolt /detroit lkr/msr axles.i leave on the lmtr at 7grand.it is the only way to launch a stick !!if you are afraid of that you need to switch to an auto.my 10 bolt has about 40 passes on it with only the one break.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wantsum410
I use my line loc for burnout/& when i stage....once i am staged i set line loc & release clutch a lil to remove all slack from r&p & preload if you will the gears.broke 2 teeth at the first lsx shootout.i am running a 8.5 10 bolt /detroit lkr/msr axles.i leave on the lmtr at 7grand.it is the only way to launch a stick !!if you are afraid of that you need to switch to an auto.my 10 bolt has about 40 passes on it with only the one break.
Thats what I am thinking. Just to be clear.
Do you:
1) stage the car, press in the clutch and bring the revs up to 7K. Ease out the clutch just enough to load the drivetrain, then at the light dump the clutch and release the linelock

or
2) stage the car, press the linelock and release the clutch a litlle to preload the drivetrain, then press the clutch in fully and bring the revs up to 7K. At the light dump the clutch and release the linelock

I may have to do some experimenting, but there has to be a better method than what I was doing. Plus I am more concerned with keeping the drivetrain intact than cutting the perfect light.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Launching a M6 with linelock ?