Sponsored by:

Fixed Orifice PCV = New PB ET?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed Orifice PCV = New PB ET?

Fixed Orifice PCV = New PB ET?

So this Saturday I went to the Texas Motorplex for my last bracket race for the season.

I was noticing that the PCV valve was oily and that some oil was passing into the TB. I usually only go 1000 miles between annual oil changes, and was not noticing an exceptional amount of oil consumption but the oily PCV valve was bothering me anyway. Before going out I changed my PCV to the “improved” fixed orifice design (PCV-1009). I also extended the vacuum line so that I could install a see though fuel filter after the PCV. I did this as a temporary/improvised catch can thinking this would allow me to see how much oil was getting past the new PCV.

The weather was almost perfect (OA 2400’-2800’) so I was hoping to beat my PB. That was until the wind picked up and the track was shut down to 1/8th mile.

The last time the weather was this good I ran my PB ¼ mile time of 12.95 with a 1/8 mile time of 8.24. Saturday she blew the 1/8 PB out of the water with an 8.070, a difference of 0.17 in the first half of the track. Now I wish I could have run the full ¼ to see how that converted to a ¼ mile time.

At the end of the night there did not appear to be any oil in the fuel filter. I will inspect it closer and if it seems that the fixed orifice PCV valve has stopped the oil flow I will remove it.

These are my experiences. Any thoughts?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:54 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you were getting alot of oil in the intake, it could have been contaminatnig the intake charge causing detonation, loss of power, etc. I don't know how much oil that would take, more then I think the car would pull in during one track pass.

I'd guess you had an improvment due to weather/track conditions.

Stopping the oil from getting into the intake, is ALWAYS a good idea, so by doing something to prevent it is a move in the right direction.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the slow reply, but I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to get out to the car to look at it. The in line fuel filter I used for a catch can had a small amount of oil in the bottom. It was very thick and dark. It looked to have the viscosity of gear oil. The input hole was visually wet and the output hole was clean and dry. So the filter will stay on, and get replaced when it accumulates too much oil.

At OA of 5390 my car ran 8.31/13.06. (660'/1320') At an OA of 3917 it ran 8.23/12.97. At the race the 8.07 was at an OA of 2460. The diference in the first example and the second was 1473' OA and 0.08 sec in 660' time. The diference in example 2 and the race day was 1457' OA and 0.16. I'll agree weather played a large part in the improvement, but probably not all.

Quick Reply: Fixed Orifice PCV = New PB ET?