Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bumper support facts

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bumper support facts

hey guys i've read all kinds of threads about the bumper supports i have not torn into it and am wondering what the support is, is it just the foam or more how much does the foam weight is it worth just takin that out and do i have to make anything up to keep the front end saggin not worried but drags, dd, or saftey just the facts thanks guys
Old 11-12-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Front bumper support is a metal support with either a foam absorber (LS1) or fiberglass honey-comb like support (LT1) attached to it, both are removed as one unit. The metal support is where the weight is. Some report front bumper sag over time, other do not. I have not had this problem. If you dd the car and are in a front end collision you may end up with the engine in your lap and a totaled car. Some companies sell a chromoly tubular front support that is a bolt-on and reportedly stronger (and much lighter) than the factory piece.

The rear support is metal with a honey-comb like fiberglass structure attached to it. The rear support weights less than the front support. Burkhart now sells a chromoly tubular rear support that is a bolt-on. If you are rear-ended with no rear bumper support, expect a large repair bill as it will throw the quarter panels and trunk out of alignment.

Personally I have both supports removed and chromoly tubular supports front and rear.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

*edit - duplicate post

Last edited by InsaneAuto86; 11-12-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:03 PM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

it weighs 20lbs ish...it takes awhile to take out considering theres a few hard to get to bolts for the bumper cover....from what i saw the bumper support does very little to hold up the cover and i dont think there will be anything sagging...and i dout it does much in a crash considering its a piece of metal and a piece of foam. i took mine out no problem
Old 11-12-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guys one day over the winter i'll get bored and take it apart the safety thing is little to think about cars are made to fold up since at least the early 90's there more for low impact
Old 11-12-2009, 08:26 PM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

yeah take the front swaybar off also...and theres a rear bumper support u can take out...im going to wait untill i get drag radials to take any weight off the rear
Old 11-13-2009, 08:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Check out the CM front and rear supports we make. They support the covers once the factory stuff is out and make a lot of room under the hood. We also use the front to mount fuel cells, radiators, intercoolers, and other items.