Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble hooking up lately

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble hooking up lately

01 Formula, MODS cam 230/230, .600 lift, 111 lsa, Long tubes w/ cut out, 4200 stall, 373 gears. MT /ET streets 255/ 50/ 16s, mid body torque arm, car weight 3350 lbs. Best run 11.82 @113.75 w/ 1.56 60 ft. DA of 1500 ft. 50 degrees out.
My 60s are starting to jump all over the place. 1.56 to 1.69 most of the time. If I really bust loose it jumps to 1.90. I am running tire pressure from 16 to 18 psi. When I do hook the car will pick the left front tire off the ground for a split second. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u8S3qvgzFI When I bust loose it feels like the tires are loading up and slipping and loading up and slipping off the line. Could this be from the track being to cold or wrong tire pressure? I hope the tires are not slipping on the rim. At the line I am launching at 1500 to 1800 rpm. Above this will smoke the tires.
If it is the track being to cold any suggestions on how to launch?
Would a drag bar help here since I am stock suspension still?
If I finally need suspension what do you suggest?
The car is not a daily driver. Just joy ride a little and race with it.
Your thoughts are welcome.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You def need a drag bar, the amount of pressure not being equal will help unload a car greatly. Also the stocker shocks are good for a certain range but your def due for a upgraded set. The Mid chassis TQ arm are used on some of the fastest car but it helps the car hit the tire hard and if you put a stock length but after market arm on it, then you may see an improvement.

The wise choice is to leave the TQ arm alone, get some adj stocks and a drag bar and see where it takes you. I suspect it will be in the mid 11's for sure!

A properly set up car will work in almost all track conditions, your car is not too radical so you should not be worried about cold pavement. Had you been making 1200hp FI or a big cube nitrous set up, thats a diff story. This time of year is Ideal for Cam only setups be it A4 or M6.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

A cold track is really tough..I had problems as well and I hardly ever spin.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If it's really cold, the car may just not work without some ability to adjust stuff, like shocks, etc.

Swaybar is probably the first thing I would add, this will get the car leaving level and help a ton, shocks next, then finally a good set of 15 inch rims, so you have a better choice of tires. Plus, the added sidewall, usually helps as well.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. After talking to my buddy Sean @ Topgear and seeing your replies I guess the plan will be to get rid of the stock control arms add the drag bar and get me some new shocks. Next fall I am hoping for the 15" drag tires and skinnies are in the plan. I guess I better start saving some more money.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If planning on fitting a larger tire, when you get LCA, make them Adjustible and if you can swing, Chromoly.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

well, since I was there with you.... I would say the last few runs were bad track. It went away later in the day. Left lane always worse than the right.

60' jumping around due to you spinning.

Suggestions: you and I have the same problems. With a relatively stock suspension, we need a good track to hook (you and I have the same suspension set up). I have been told to put adjustable shocks up front and loosen them up on bad tracks. One thing you could try tonight (its gonna be hard to hook there) is run the starting line rpms up as high as possible without car pushing through. converter will flash less