Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many ppl with race cars and no air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya, Ive done it a few times and never really saw a gain on my car. I have the SUX2BU ducts and fully sealed lowerbox, and see a loss in MPH when the front inlet on the lower box would be open. I have some foam just pressed in there that would fall out, and Id loose 2mph, push it back in and gain it back. The 1/8 would stay the same trapping like 85-88 SI at the time. I was taking to mike @newera about this tonight, and he said he's seen on the dyno some cars make less power with the lid setup and a biger bottem opening if you pull the filter, and the aircounts go down. Somthing about the air going thu the lids shape the filter helps. This is a dyno with a fans but nothing like 80mph winds.

But I've been with him late nights testing tons of intake setups for the, gto, TBSS. And the new g8 and camaro5 stuff, its reallllly funny for what makes power and runs faster at the track, then what you would think. The camaro5 OTR intake were -/+ 10whp with a slight change whats "around" the filter.
The following users liked this post:
fucter (06-16-2021)
Old 10-14-2009, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i take mine out when i go to the track then replace it at the end of the night.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry it's a very old thread now but I have a ls1 with a custom made air intake and no air filter. Hood is vented and intake sits behind vents. There is mesh plus fly screen material attached to the vents on hood. Its been like it for 8 years now (done 75,000km like it). Car has never had filter and was tuned without filter. Only reason I don't have a filter is coz no one seems to be able to make me one to fit the unique sizing and I've given up looking.

I was thinking of putting a stocking over the intake too. like someone else has said.

Car is not a daily. Not driven in rain. Does see the track. And surprisingly it never gets hot to touch and when sees the dyno , the tuner always comments how good it flows.

I've thought about replacing with a otr type with filter but kind of like it being one of a kind.
Attached Thumbnails How many ppl with race cars and no air filter?-20150227_163243.jpg  
Old 04-09-2015, 09:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine doesn't have a filter now, but going to put one on and see if there's a difference in ET.
Also last time at track my alternator belt shred and some pieces wound up in my TB blades.
I change my oil every 25 passes also.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

First, great looking intake!

In regards to protecting the intake from debris, I would not use a stocking or any kind of soft mesh. You could run the risk of the mesh coming lose and possibly getting stuck in the throttle body or ending up in the heads/valves.

I was using a thin aluminum mesh and at the track pulled the wheels pretty high off the line, when the font came down my fiberglass pin on hood hit the top of my intake tube going to the TB and rattle loose my mesh. I was WOT through the traps at 165mph and when I lifted my TB was wedged open. I was running a TH400 with a really high stall and the car was setup to hit almost 8K rpm in 3rd. It only took a second of hitting the rev limiter to cause motor damage before I could shut down. It wasn't very fun lifting after hitting 165 in low 9 sec only to have the car keep accelerating. I couldn't imagine if something like that happened on the streets.

IMO your setup will be fine with no filter especially since your intake has a turn in it. Some guys just run a straight open pipe into the TB. Anything such as bugs or whatnot would just get obliterated inside the cylinders. If your at the track the conditions should be clean and if your on the streets I think your safe from anything like a small pebble making its way up and past the TB.

Anyway, I say go with what you have. If you still want to filter then have someone fabricate a thick grill to cover both intakes, it won't hinder the flow since both sides are pretty large. Use something solid that also won't break easy from racing etc...

Good luck!
Lee
Old 04-09-2015, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FEAR THE LS1
Hi,

First, great looking intake!

In regards to protecting the intake from debris, I would not use a stocking or any kind of soft mesh. You could run the risk of the mesh coming lose and possibly getting stuck in the throttle body or ending up in the heads/valves.

I was using a thin aluminum mesh and at the track pulled the wheels pretty high off the line, when the font came down my fiberglass pin on hood hit the top of my intake tube going to the TB and rattle loose my mesh. I was WOT through the traps at 165mph and when I lifted my TB was wedged open. I was running a TH400 with a really high stall and the car was setup to hit almost 8K rpm in 3rd. It only took a second of hitting the rev limiter to cause motor damage before I could shut down. It wasn't very fun lifting after hitting 165 in low 9 sec only to have the car keep accelerating. I couldn't imagine if something like that happened on the streets.

IMO your setup will be fine with no filter especially since your intake has a turn in it. Some guys just run a straight open pipe into the TB. Anything such as bugs or whatnot would just get obliterated inside the cylinders. If your at the track the conditions should be clean and if your on the streets I think your safe from anything like a small pebble making its way up and past the TB.

Anyway, I say go with what you have. If you still want to filter then have someone fabricate a thick grill to cover both intakes, it won't hinder the flow since both sides are pretty large. Use something solid that also won't break easy from racing etc...

Good luck!
Lee
Thanks Lee! That must have been a friggin' scary situation.
Great input buddy. Much appreciated. I'm off to the track tomorrow morning so I'm gonna remove the mesh to be sage and yes I'm going to take your advice and get someone to fabricate a thick grill to cover the intakes.

Thanks again mate !
Old 04-09-2015, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my old gtp went from low 12's @118 to low 13's @103 , ended up that when I ran it without a filter on my fenderwell intake tube it sucked in a piece of foam at the track that was found later stuck to the maf screen in the tb , it was a car I never registered and only ran at the track so it picked up the foam there.

so anybody pulling air from a high pressure area be careful , probably not likely to happen on an open element filter on a carb so some examples are apples and oranges
Old 04-10-2015, 05:21 AM
On The Tree

Thats a pic of the hood vent and intake behind the grill
Attached Thumbnails How many ppl with race cars and no air filter?-fb_img_1425024530141.jpg  
Old 04-10-2015, 12:23 PM
Teching In

There is no gains from not running a filter. Don't waste your time taking it in and out, that's ridiculous.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted SS
There is no gains from not running a filter. Don't waste your time taking it in and out, that's ridiculous.
Some set ups do some don't.
The following users liked this post:
fucter (06-16-2021)
Old 04-14-2015, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

On my old turbo DSM that had a Karman Vortex MAF, I lost a good bit of power on the dyno by taking the cone filter off, the car felt totally off. Apparently, the screen in the filter helps straighten the air into the MAF.

Al

Quick Reply: How many ppl with race cars and no air filter?