Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Relocation

I am going to relocate my battery into the spare tire well. What I want to know is when dealing with a cut off switch, what are the "rules" for it. I want to be able to run my car at more then my local track. I want to know if I can put the Cut off switch in place of my Antenna, or does the switch have to be somewhere on the rear of the car? Just looking for a clean install, and figured this could be done to look real clean. thanks for any input.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Needs to be at the back of the car with a label showing what to do to shut the car off (push off/pull off)
Old 06-04-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Try a search.. this gets discussed frequently.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

I plan on drilling into the center of the license plate and bumper cover and putting it there. Not dead center of the plate but as far up on the plate as it will go just so it isn't too obvious to the troopers.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
Needs to be at the back of the car with a label showing what to do to shut the car off (push off/pull off)
Thank-you. This is what I was looking for.

Old Geezer Try a search.. this gets discussed frequently.

This.....Not so much!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Question Huh???

Originally Posted by GhostofKrypton
Thank-you. This is what I was looking for.

Old Geezer Try a search.. this gets discussed frequently.

This.....Not so much!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=11235991
Old 06-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

LEft rear is what I have seen in the rules at the two local tracs to me. never seen anyone have probems if it isn't on the left rear most corner. Just needs to be clearly visible and marked like already said.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:31 AM
7 Second Club

NHRA battery cutoff rules are in the sticky thread up top, and as mentioned you'll find plenty of thread discussing the topic of battery to the back as well as how and where it was located.

Derek
Old 06-05-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
I plan on drilling into the center of the license plate and bumper cover and putting it there. Not dead center of the plate but as far up on the plate as it will go just so it isn't too obvious to the troopers.
this is what STENOD is doing with mine as we speak
Old 06-05-2010, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Villain281H
NHRA battery cutoff rules are in the sticky thread up top, and as mentioned you'll find plenty of thread discussing the topic of battery to the back as well as how and where it was located.

Derek
I searched the threads already. I read the NHRA sticky as well. If battery is in the back/trunk (regardless of ET), a secured tray and cutoff switch is required. The cutoff switch must shut down everything electrical when off (including alternator); see here for pictures and a wiring diagram: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/drag-r...ct-switch.html
Once again I know it had to have a cut off switch, but no where does it state how it HAS to be mounted.

ryarbrough

See this post^^^^ answers all the questions I had. I.E i can not mount it in the antenna hole. I do have to mount it going out the back of the car and also it has to be cleary labeled. That is what I wanted to know, not to see a million pictures on how everybody made theirs.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:45 PM
10 Second Club

I bought an extra taillight out of a junk yard. I havent finished it but I plan on just drilling the hole in my junkyard light and putting the cut off switch on it, then when I want it to look nice and neat for shows, just disconnect the levers and other crap for the shutoff in the trunk and put the nice tail light in!! Good to go!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
I bought an extra taillight out of a junk yard. I havent finished it but I plan on just drilling the hole in my junkyard light and putting the cut off switch on it, then when I want it to look nice and neat for shows, just disconnect the levers and other crap for the shutoff in the trunk and put the nice tail light in!! Good to go!
thats what i did. i went through the part of the reverse light that isn't used so i can still drive it and not have any interference with the lights. threw in a grommet too.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

damn i read this thread and got excited. I just sold my antenna and didn't even think to put the cutoff switch there. It would have been perfect, hole already there and right near the battery back there. Sucks it has to be on rear of car and not on the back right next to rear Thanks for thread!!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by trans2000am
this is what STENOD is doing with mine as we speak

Pics when done please.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

I've seen an on/off switch that was right under the trunk key hole before. Kind of in the middle of the bird. It looked ok to me. I think that would be less noticeable to a cop than putting it in the liscense plate.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Guy in MY 99TA
I think that would be less noticeable to a cop than putting it in the liscense plate.
Why does it matter? A battery kill switch isn't illegal.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't put it down that low in the car.. you stand the car up you don't want the thing getting hit on the track and killing power.. that would be a great way to destroy a car when it come slamming back down.

I drilled a hole right next to the ws6 badge and called it a day. Once you put the battery in the back, that's kind of a signal to me that it's a race car, or quickly on it's way to becoming one, and if you're doing that, chances are there's alot of other stuff done to the car that's not legal anyway, so believe me if a cop wants to harrass you that's the last thing they're gonna bother ya on.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind that the NHRA rules say it needs to be in a secure tray, but you need more than that for a 4th gen f-body. Our cars do not have a separate trunk. In order to make your battery relocation LEGAL at the track, it must be in a sealed and vented (to the outside) battery box. Otherwise fumes from the battery can contaminate the driver compartment and that is a big no-no.

The wiring for the shutoff must disconnect both the battery and the alternator. If you just shut off the battery the car will still run on the juice from the alternator itself. Figure adding about 25-30lbs worth of stuff to the car when you move the battery to the back. It's not worth it unless you KNOW you will be breaking the 9.99 barrier.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94Z28rag
Why does it matter? A battery kill switch isn't illegal.
Drilling into a license plate is though. Destruction of Govt. property.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I wouldn't put it down that low in the car.. you stand the car up you don't want the thing getting hit on the track and killing power.. that would be a great way to destroy a car when it come slamming back down.

I drilled a hole right next to the ws6 badge and called it a day. Once you put the battery in the back, that's kind of a signal to me that it's a race car, or quickly on it's way to becoming one, and if you're doing that, chances are there's alot of other stuff done to the car that's not legal anyway, so believe me if a cop wants to harrass you that's the last thing they're gonna bother ya on.
This.

Quick Reply: Battery Relocation