Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braking issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking issues

I installed new heads and increased the rocker arm ratio on my sbc. I had 10 inches of vacuum at an idle before now I'm at 6 inches and now the the brakes don't work too well. I have a 95 Firebird with stock front brakes and stock 9 1/2 drums on the back and vacuum canister. I installed the biggest wheel cylinder I can put in the drums, but it looks like I need to upgrade the brakes. I have a manual master I could use, but when I installed years ago the car didn't stop too good. I was thinking about putting LS brakes on the front and rear that I have laying around or go with an 11 inch drum on the rear or get some drag brakes for the rear and run the LS brakes in the front. I don't want to spend money if I don't have to. Anyone run a manual master with stock LS brakes on the street?
Old 06-20-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

What size is the manual master cyl bore? [I've used the early Vette, non power M/C w/ good results. [1968 AIRC].
At that vac level, it's about impossible to get a good brake w/ power.
Have you considered a vac pump? Summit has them. not cheap, but will supply a good level of vac.
Here's a source for t/s a system.
http://www.mpbrakes.com/technical-su...leshooting.cfm
Old 06-20-2010, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 1.032 Strange master cylinder I bought years back. It didn't stop the car well at all. Probably due to the drums on the rear and single piston calipers on the front. I just checked Strange's website and they recommend running the the 4 piston calipers on the rear with the master I have. I'm leaning toward a set of Strange S series 4 piston calipers for the rear and putting the stock LS dual piston calipers on the front. That should stop the car well, but I will call a few places before I order them.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you run alot of street use, you could always do a hydroboost swap, and have great braking with your stock setup... There are kits out that are like the factory heavy duty trucks, use the powersteering pressure in place of the vacuum booster, and it saves alot of space too. It's only about 550-600 bux.