Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saving weight by using Mr. RotoZip

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Saving weight by using Mr. RotoZip

I have basically done all the free mods and weight saving I can do. I dont mind chopping up my car to make it faster. What else is there to cut out to save weight. EX: Swiss cheese A-pillars, cut trunck out.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do a search and people dont tell these secrets as much as you think
Old 10-25-2010, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You better know what the hell you're doing if you're going to start cutting your car up. If you cut something out, you better put something back in to maintain or increase strength to make up for what you just removed.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:39 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You better build the cage into the car before you even start with that, or you're liable to end up with a twisted up junked car that will never be right.

Want to get 15 lbs out of the car for about 15 bucks? Rip everything out of the interior, get a couple wire wheel's and a drill, and remove all the seam sealer out of the inside of the car. be ready for a big mess, but it's about 15 lbs of crap. Just finished doing mine yesterday, and I still have to get a bunch out that's behind the cage, when that gets redone.

Don't forget to repaint the floor when you are done, since you're taking it to bare metal.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
You better build the cage into the car before you even start with that, or you're liable to end up with a twisted up junked car that will never be right.

Want to get 15 lbs out of the car for about 15 bucks? Rip everything out of the interior, get a couple wire wheel's and a drill, and remove all the seam sealer out of the inside of the car. be ready for a big mess, but it's about 15 lbs of crap. Just finished doing mine yesterday, and I still have to get a bunch out that's behind the cage, when that gets redone.

Don't forget to repaint the floor when you are done, since you're taking it to bare metal.
Do you happen to have any pics? I'm gonna be installing a cage over the winter and would like to remove everything I can from the interior.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Race your car!

Ugh you guys and the pictures LOL. Pull the carpet up. You'll see what looks like putty that was put on body seams all over the car, along the door sills, all over the rear wheel well's, up along the firewall. Get out a coarse wire wheel, put it on your favorite drill and go man go until you get to bare metal. Wear safety goggles and ear protection, and when you're done, paint the floor board, and reinstall your carpet.

There goes 15 lbs.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

seam sealers is all the putty looking stuff. I was gonna scrape mine out but the car was to nice.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ugh you guys and the pictures LOL. Pull the carpet up. You'll see what looks like putty that was put on body seams all over the car, along the door sills, all over the rear wheel well's, up along the firewall. Get out a coarse wire wheel, put it on your favorite drill and go man go until you get to bare metal. Wear safety goggles and ear protection, and when you're done, paint the floor board, and reinstall your carpet.

There goes 15 lbs.
Listen to this guy, he knows what he speaks of. Got some first hand exp with his car and if you want to cut, he knows.

BUT one thing he does is make sure that strength is put back in key points to help keep the car safe. Saving 10 pounds but making the car hazardous is no savings to me.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you're saying the seam sealer alone is worth 15 lbs? Kind of hard to believe, I have my car gutted right now awaiting a roll bar and have been thinking about cleaning the seam sealer up but doesn't seem worth it
Old 10-25-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by X-ray
You better know what the hell you're doing if you're going to start cutting your car up. If you cut something out, you better put something back in to maintain or increase strength to make up for what you just removed.
That's why im done cutting it up i think. I dont want a car thats garbage and has no strength. I don't even have sub frame connectors yet. So i guess i've gotta add go fast parts now
Old 10-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Race your car!

I've been told by a couple people that did it, that there's actually almost 20 lbs, if you get all the stuff that's under the front fenders and whatnot too.

I still have some left in my car where I couldn't get to it because the 10 pt was in the way... I took all the stuff that was on the floor (my garage is kept clean, so what I swept up is pretty accurate) along with what I sucked out with the shop vac and put it all in a garbage bag.... and weighed said bag.

12 lbs give or take a little, as my home scale goes by full lb increments.

It was a nightmare getting it out. Took 3 wire wheel's to do, and probably about 7 hours of my life, but to me, being I'm on no time schedule it was worth it.

Once I have the front end off I'll get the rest of it out, and once the cage is cut out to redo that, I'll get what's left inside the car. It's a pita, but it weigh's a good bit.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Internet Mechanic

** You see how much is glopped on from the factory. It was indeed a mess.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DTB_LS1
Do you happen to have any pics? I'm gonna be installing a cage over the winter and would like to remove everything I can from the interior.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...d=371147588782

Old 10-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Race your car!

Amusing. Foolish, but amusing LOL
Old 10-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Internet Mechanic

I still see weight he can be cutting out.

Quick Reply: Saving weight by using Mr. RotoZip