Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed and MSD Shift light, FYI

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed and MSD Shift light, FYI

Just finished installing and MSD Shift Light PN 8952. The install was fairly easy just time consuming to clean everything up behind the dash. I wasn't able to find any information through the search for the particular part so i thought i'd share a little info for those interested.

There has been much debate concerning the need to send MSD products (Shift lights, Window Switches, etc.) back to MSD to be modified for the LS1 ignition system. All i had to do was cut two wires from the back of the shift light as if it was set up for a 4 Cylinder motor.

The harlen shift light install write up on Install University was very helpful. I taped the #10 pin on the lower part of the pcm for the tach signal (I have a 2000 car). I also removed the PCM to access the rubber grommet that i poked a hole through to run the tach wire into the cabin. There is a "V" shaped piece of metal under the steering column held by two nuts. I used a ring type electrical connector, removed one of the nuts, and tightened it down for the ground connection. And last I tapped the pink wire from the existing TCS wire harness for acc power. My car did not come with traction control, so the switch does not exist, but the wiring harness did, and for those curious, its still does have power.

The shiftlight is very nice, its not so bright that it blinds you at night, has a nice red glow to it. It uses all the standard MSD pills that plug in directly under the light, so there is no need for any separate module. I believe the price is about $70.

P.S. Mods if this is in the wrong spot please move, thanks.