Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negative effects of seam sealer removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Negative effects of seam sealer removal

I was wondering if there are any down sides such as rattles, leaks, etc. I want to loose the weight but was wondering what the down side is
Old 12-30-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Noise also,,road noise will be considerably more noticable.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Noise I am ok with. Water coming in I'm not or panels flapping against each other
Old 12-30-2011, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

As long as you are not cutting it out between the panels you will be fine. If you can see day light then you know water can come in there.
Most cars are not driven in the rain much if any.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya you dont dig it out between the overlap on the metal. It expands so on the assembly line they just put it all along the seams, it expands and a bunch of extra outside the panels drys there. You just want to remove that, thats most of it anyway.

See all the bare spots, thats how wide the extra sealer was, they paint after it. The grey is primer then seal over.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...Picture014.jpg
Old 12-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Awesome thanks for the pictures I'll probably just sand it down vs grind so I can remove the excess, hopefully it's worth it least 10lbs
Old 12-31-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can try that. But 36-60 or some super coarse will melt it and fling it all over, Most if it will restick to what it hits. Thats still gona clogg, anything finner will clogg faster. Plus that will sand off the paint when you do get down to metal.Use a stiff putty knife and heat. I heat gun works, but it gets really hot in the car. Your going in in there for a few hours going 1inch at a time. I use a propane torch, to heat the putty knife and that Cuts right thu the extra foam. (hot knife in butter) Your feel were edge of the lower layer is and slid along that, (dont dig the foam out in the seam) than the top layer.
I'd remove anything that can burn or melt. have water, and a fire extinguisher there. And if your indoors it would be better if the car was not on jackstands, so if the car dose get on fire bad, keep it rolling so you can push it outside. And not burn your place down.

I have some more pics and if here and the next few pages.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...h-diet-23.html
I'm at about 8.5# form the back seat back, I heard the whole car was 18. I saw a bunch under the front fenders but didnt remove it when I have them off. I will next time.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Rite now in Wisconsin I could use a little warmer car so I might just set the beers out side of it and grab a heat gun and go to town on it. I was going to try and get it all out of the inside cabin area since I have removed the speakers and will be removing their wiring.

Quick Reply: Negative effects of seam sealer removal