Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Structural, or not so much?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Structural, or not so much?

Was looking to cut out the Radiator support from my car and use some chrome moly being that is is lighter, anyone know if it will hurt me, or not? Doing whatever i can to shed weight.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:21 PM
9 Second Club

you would be fine to construct it out of cm.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

chro moly isn't lighter than steel, the only time it's a weight savings is when you use thinner pieces than the steel you're replacing. If you really want it light, several members have made them out of aluminum or just cut up the stock piece where the condenser etc was location.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:14 AM
TECH Resident

I was gonna use 1/4 moly with 2 small like U bends that the radiator and fan wld set in.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Depending on the weight of the radiator I think 1/2 inch would be a better idea. We are talking about the lower radiator support as well yes?

The top one, you will want to use something that has some strength, and when you cut it make sure you have something spanning the area you are cutting out welded in to hold it in place, becuase when you cut it, you will see the car flex some inwards (meaning it is structural) A ton of people cut it out for easier engine removal, room for turbo's and removing weight, just make sure that you put something back that's going to be strong enough to support some load that's all.

If your cage comes thru the firewall it won't be as bad and you may not see the flex at all fwiw.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We do it all the time when we have a bumper support in place. For us it's mostly a space issue. If we move the radiator into the bumper support we can free up a lot of room.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

JL I was just wanting to remove the lower for now, but might consider the top too. And Steve I have your bar up front an just looking to cut some weight here and there. Thx for the responses.