Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes, another exhaust setup question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, another exhaust setup question...

I've searched a lot on the topic, and have a unique question that I can't find many remarks on. First off, I'm still running a pretty much stock LS1 with bolt-ons, and a cam will be the first thing added to the motor. Right now I've got pacesetter 1 3/4" headers with an open ORY pipe. On to my question... just out of boredom and curiousity, I had O'reillys send me (I work at a dealership all day) two 18" pieces of 3" exh. pipe and two 3" turn downs. I already had clamps... but basically I'm just wondering how much difference at the track I can expect between an open Y pipe, and the extensions with turn downs pointed out the side. I'm looking for input as far as how much louder it will be, any power it may free up, ET difference, etc. I KNOW some of you guys have lots of experience testing exhaust setups... lol. OH and also it is my daily driver, but swapping between the Ypipe and my dirt cheap poor man's true duals isn't too much of a hassle...

PS. I put this in the drag section because it will most likely be the "for the track" setup and I figured the most experience with headers/extensions would be here. Thanks ahead for any opinions/input
Old 01-20-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok...nevermind. Went ahead and tried the pipe/turndowns, not much louder at all than an open Y pipe. Wish it was march already so I could try it down the track!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will gain like 9 hp thats what ive seen most cut outs make.