Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! problem with TH400 shifter cable...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 06:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HELP! problem with TH400 shifter cable...

I'm in the middle of a th400 swap in my 00 SS. I've never had an auto or even looked at one before now. So forgive me if this is a stupid question. this is on a TH400 trans and a TCI outlaw shifter. ( RMVB) I have the trans in, the shifter in. ran the cable thru the supplied brackets. I set the cable end so it fits in the first hole on the shift lever on the trans when in 3rd gear and have the shifter in 3rd gear.(per the instructions) your supposed to take it out of the hole and put the trans in park and put the shifter into park and the cable end should fit back in the hole smoothly. well mine is off 1/4" i can figure out any adjustment that will make any differnce. I then set it up to fit in park and when you put it back to 3rd its off the same distance. is the shift lever drilled wrong? is it the wrong shift lever? wrong bracket? I cant figure out what would cause this.

heres some pictures of whats goin on.

2nd picture trans and shifter are in 3rd.
last picture trans and shifter are in park.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! problem with TH400 shifter cable...-cable-bracket.jpg   HELP! problem with TH400 shifter cable...-shifter-3rd-gear.jpg   HELP! problem with TH400 shifter cable...-shifter-park.jpg  
Old 03-14-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a pro ratchet so i know its not the same but mine the link of the trans is just a straight peice so i would try setting it in the hole that is directly inline with mounting hole for the trans shift lever and then try the put it in 3rd then park and see if it works good luck
Old 03-15-2012, 07:02 AM
9 Second Club

I tried all the holes and none work. my trans shop said to try to set it in neutral to split the differnce its off between park and 3rd gear. when i do this it fits in park, reverse, neutral and 1st gear. 2nd and 3rd gear the hole is 1/4" off from lining up. i'm so confused right now.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

I have had better results adjusting the cable with the trans and shifter in park. My tranny guy says that second is the most accurate way to adjust it. I have never been out 1/4" though.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:28 AM
9 Second Club

I had slop in the lever that bolts to the trans. it has a square cutout that goes over the shaft in the trans, well even with the nut tight in park you could push up on it and it would wiggle like 1/16". i had to put it in 3rd and push back on it to get it to wiggle back the other way and hold it there and tighten the nut. then I had to slightly enlarge the hole the cable end fits in. it now works in every gear.

Quick Reply: HELP! problem with TH400 shifter cable...