Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

afco da shocks setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Same thing I say about radials... I like my junk to have the ability to recover if it spins. That, and the prep where I usually run, the only thing that's consistant, is that it's inconsistant. Trying to get a car to run right on radials with the amount of variance we deal with is more work then the return would be. Slick tire, you can make a 1 or 2 click adjustment or a lb of air in and out and still get down the track at about 99% of what you're capable of. Radial tire, one day you'll be blowing them off and the next day, putting it on the bumper, same track.

Guys that have the luxury of running at places that do alot of bigger radial events, or prep for weekly radial classes have track prep. Not much of that once you go north of atco.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Guys that have the luxury of running at places that do alot of bigger radial events, or prep for weekly radial classes have track prep. Not much of that once you go north of atco.
Could not say it better, bring that junk up to LVD and we will see how good that radial is. I can tell you, you won't be doing any PB's and I'll even spot you some Corrected DA.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Could not say it better, bring that junk up to LVD and we will see how good that radial is. I can tell you, you won't be doing any PB's and I'll even spot you some Corrected DA.
Don't get your vagina hurt. You can tell me whatever you want and I'll still say F slicks.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:31 PM
10 Second Club

BTW I think all 3 of the "junk" radial cars in this post don't need the spot but thanks anyways.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
BTW I think all 3 of the "junk" radial cars in this post don't need the spot but thanks anyways.

LMFAO!!!!!

They pumpin' KOOL AID SON!!!

Back tire for life!

What JL said is right though. When I got this car from Josh@KYturbo the shock settings he had in the car would blow the tires off one pass and then chatter the **** out of them the next.

I took the car home, talked to some fast radial guys and a couple suspension guru's got their information took a baseline and ran a 1.31 60' off the trailer first pass. Did some tweaking ran 1.30 and 4.09 to the 330'. Third pass tweaked one more thing took it back out and ran 1.29 60' 4.05 330' off the footbrake.

Next week out those same shock settings that did so well, blew the tires off again. Made a adjustment and it was on the back tires for 50' out and I hit 2nd in the air. Next pass tightened the front shocks up and ran consistent 6.40's all day.

It's all about knowing your combo and knowing what that shock adjustment will do to the car's suspension. You can have someone give you a "golden" suspension tune up on one track one day, but the next time out it will not work unless your at MIR or SGMP where the prep is consistent as JL said.

Last edited by Fbodyjunkie06; 04-05-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
LMFAO!!!!!

They pumpin' KOOL AID SON!!!

Back tire for life!

What JL said is right though. When I got this car from Josh@KYturbo the shock settings he had in the car would blow the tires off one pass and then chatter the **** out of them the next.

I took the car home, talked to some fast radial guys and a couple suspension guru's got their information took a baseline and ran a 1.31 60' off the trailer first pass. Did some tweaking ran 1.30 and 4.09 to the 330'. Third pass tweaked one more thing took it back out and ran 1.29 60' 4.05 330' off the footbrake.

Next week out those same shock settings that did so well, blew the tires off again. Made a adjustment and it was on the back tires for 50' out and I hit 2nd in the air. Next pass tightened the front shocks up and ran consistent 6.40's all day.

It's all about knowing your combo and knowing what that shock adjustment will do to the car's suspension. You can have someone give you a "golden" suspension tune up on one track one day, but the next time out it will not work unless your at MIR or SGMP where the prep is consistent as JL said.
I know, I was just having a little fun and I guess it was at the expense of other people. You're correct on knowing the setup and I guess I'm fortunate to have good people helping me when I'm on a crappy surface. However, I ain't pumping no Kool-Aid when it comes to someone calling my **** "radial junk". He can have the bump, wiggle, shake, break, or whatever he needs.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

We have spun the tires at MIR and SGMP.
We have also went right down at Capitol (terrible track).

We can get down anywhere, just won't be as fast on the bad tracks is all.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Internet Mechanic

Don't get your vagina hurt. You can tell me whatever you want and I'll still say F slicks.
Keep it up I may have to slap you with my Vagina. Maybe only chance you will ever get to feel one.

Slicks have their place, radials have come a long way. When they start running them in Top Fuel, then I guess I'll care.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Keep it up I may have to slap you with my Vagina. Maybe only chance you will ever get to feel one.

Slicks have their place, radials have come a long way. When they start running them in Top Fuel, then I guess I'll care.

Speaking of gay jokes, how fast is your car? Like I said, you're Top Fuel Trans Am has the back tire for life.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATVracr
We have spun the tires at MIR and SGMP.
We have also went right down at Capitol (terrible track).

We can get down anywhere, just won't be as fast on the bad tracks is all.
When your at a track like MIR or SGMP you can really stand on the tune-up to see what the track will hold.

At a shitty track your in the mindset of going a to b and the thought of standing on the tune-up doesn't even cross your mind really.

I don't have to tell you that though Wayne you guys are "gangster's" with the nitrous tune-ups

BS machine did you know that power management in a Top Fuel car is VERY much similar to power management on a high hp radial car like a X275, Outlaw 275 or ODR car?

It's a situation where both set-ups have WAY more power than the tire can hold.

That's why they slip the clutch for half the pass on top fuel cars and don't engage lock-up till the 660', just like an ODR car not coming on the boost until 200-300' out on an 1/8th mile track.

Power management is the name of the game in racing no matter what the tire, some just make it easier than others. If you know how to tweak your suspension and tune-up the right way it doesn't really matter the surface.

Shocks like Afco double adjustables make that possible on a 275 radial.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:55 PM
10 Second Club

Speaking of gay jokes, how fast is your car? Like I said, you're Top Fuel Trans Am has the back tire for life.
That had a zing to it!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

That had a zing to it!
That's just my smartassness. I learned it from some guy named Widow_Maker.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:11 AM
10 Second Club

That's just my smartassness. I learned it from some guy named Widow_Maker.
Hmmm, never heard of him Must be a real *******!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:28 AM
Internet Mechanic

My junk is slow and that wont change any time soon, but I get to play and be around fast **** so long story short slicks have their place.

Btw between you and Fbody Junkie, which one is the sack and which one is the rider??

--->
All
So anyways I like radials and I like slicks certains classes will work better than others, and radials will be faster if you don't spin and cutting the same 60' foot but thats the trick. Fact is though some tracks will ruin your day if you actually plan on racing events and last I checked most don't drive and spend money to lose and "have a good time".

All kidding, and gay jokes aside....

New season has started and do expect to see some if not all DR records easily broken. So I am leaving it there and yes "F" slicks is funny now that I get to think bout it.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 04-06-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

It was all in good fun, us radial guys stick together!

We take personal offense to anyone calling our rides "radial junk" as you can see.

A car that hasn't had a lot of care or time in the suspension can slap a slick on and go fast any day of the week on any shitty track in the country no doubt and that is a huge advantage.

I know one thing though. I get a HUGE sense of pride when people come up to me on race day asking me how in the hell I get my 275 radial tired car down the track with the front tires 3' in the air for the first 60' on a track that is greasy and mediocre at best.

It takes a really good tuner and really good understanding of your suspension to make it work with a radial tire. I just enjoy a challenge.

And I am not by any means saying guys that run slicks are taking the easy way out or there accomplishments don't mean anything because that is FAR from the truth they have to play the power management game just like we do.

Just my .02 cents.

OP have you tried taking the car to the track on the settings I suggested?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Internet Mechanic

It was all in good fun, us radial guys stick together!

We take personal offense to anyone calling our rides "radial junk" as you can see.
I would be the same way.

Quick Reply: afco da shocks setup