Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood weight

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Hood weight

I've got a 02 WS6 and I like the look of the WS9 Outlaw. I'm trying to drop some weight and I'm wondering if the Outlaw hood would be quite a bit lighter than a GM WS6 hood? Sorry if this is the wrong section.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a U.S. Exotics WS9 hood, and I'm going to finally install it soon. I'll try to get a weight on that as I'm assuming their the same hood? I don't have any actual weight numbers, but I will let you know it is incredibly LIGHT. I can pick it up myself, but carrying still requires two people since it's awkward.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 3 inch ss hood is alot lighter than my oem ss hood was, honest and this is imo if your just going to do the hood to lose weight its not worth it, if your looking to take weight out in other places as well then it is, honest the hood change i made was a pita, i just needed clearance for the new setup, unless you need clearance /building a race car i would stick with the ws6 hood, but thats your call,
Old 04-03-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a camaro, but went to a sunoco pin on cowl hood for looks and weight. The weight was alot more then i was thinking, I posted all this is my build thread, pics, weights of everything, how to mount ect. After a got the hood fit a drove the car around, the front end was sitting alot higher . I had to lower the shocks a few times to make up for the weight loss. No joke it probably 45-50pounds lighter.

My stock Z28 hood was 45-48pounds, the VFN sunoco pin on was 14.8, Add a few more for painting the top only. I noticed the weight after I had it painted BTW. And with that hood I unbolted a lot of other parts I didnt need. The metal latch the the body colored triangle mount. And the hinges, and struts. I posted a pic of all that, its like a bucket of stuff you dont think about, weighted 15-20pounds. I later drilled the spot welds and removed the brakets for the hood struts pop to, and the front corner brackets the hood bumpers thread into. Sanded them smooth a repainted the engine bay, looks great. thouse were 2-4 more pounds too. To mount the hood I used the racecraft Dzus rails that bolt right on the fenders. They have 4 in the front and 5 down the sides, i have no problem with them. Its a great setup you can bolt on in your driveway with hand tools, they looks like a custom chassie shop hand made them for your car, I get alot of complemnts on them. They are super light thin alum, only weight 2-4 pounds with the hardwear I bet.
But I would only drill the hood for 2 of the front and 3 per side dzus, and see how that is. You can always all all of them later, But I dont think I need all of them, but dont want to fill the hood holes now. If I get another hood I want to see about it.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The change would be more for visual than anything but if I'd be dropping 20 pounds it will help justify the change. What else could I do to drop weight that won't take away from the driveablility of the car. Things like air bags and what not I'm not worried about. The car is street driven but its mainly a race car that I don't want to gut the interior out of. I was thinking about losing the antenna when I get it painted, the hood, abs delete, maybe remove the air bag. The AIR and spare tire are long gone. If anything I've probably added weight with the 9 inch and subframe connectors. I just don't want to take away from the niceness of the car lol but I'd really like to run a 10.99 n/a with a stock bottom end.

Quick Reply: Hood weight