Want to learn about methanol ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Want to learn about methanol ??

Hi guys

i´m interested to know something about methanol

i´m in Iceland and i can get it here for very good price.

So how can i use it whith my setup and what is needed to be done to use it.

Setup:

NA motor 11.4:1 CP
Nitrous plate kitt and a standalone fuel cell
HPT for tuning

I use 93 premium pump gas on motor $8 a gallon :ack: and i can get Race gas Sunoco supreme 110MON oct in the cell for $25 a gallon

Baezi
Old 04-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

#1, the fuel system. It has to be able to supply the needed volume, which is over twice as much, and requires a little better grade of parts (all have to be coated or anodized, as the methanol is corrosive to alum when it sits in it for a long period of time)

#2, it runs a TON cooler, so cooling system requirements are 1/2 what you need with gas.

#3, you need to really keep up with the oil maintenance more, as the methanol will water the oil down quickly.

#4, you will need a tuner, to at least get you started if you're going to make the switch, someone with experience with alcohol or you're going to probably wash the rings and whatnot out of the motor at least once trying to get it right.

#5, expect a small hp gain, but a bigger tq gain from going to methanol

VERY basic, but that's the start of what you will need to do. Depending on what you're doing for a fuel system, etc there's alot of options. Best bet would be to get ahold of a tuner that does alot of alcohol stuff and start there, at least that will get you into the right direction.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep it off your skin and don't breath the fumes. It attacks everything. I drain it out after every race day and run gasoline for a few minutes to sort of rinse it out. Also it's sometimes hard to start on alcohol, my car (on left) has a small fuel pump that squirts gas from a one quart tank directly into the intake to start. Crude but it works.

Al 95 Z28
Old 04-14-2012, 02:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al
Keep it off your skin and don't breath the fumes. It attacks everything. I drain it out after every race day and run gasoline for a few minutes to sort of rinse it out. Also it's sometimes hard to start on alcohol, my car (on left) has a small fuel pump that squirts gas from a one quart tank directly into the intake to start. Crude but it works.

Al 95 Z28

i was thinking can i use it instead of race gas in the standalone cell or blend it whith either race gas or maby pump gas

just a thought

Baezi