Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cage welding

Old 05-13-2012, 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cage welding

Can someone go through the process of which bars to weld first? I've never welded in a cage. Are you able to weld any of it outside of the car? I'm not the best TIG welder either, but I can lay down some ok welds.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You start with the floor plates for thd main hoop get them into the car first and positioned, tack them in then the main hoop, since everything is based off of the main hoop its position and squareness is critical. Once the main hoop is done, you can work in either direction really. If, you want to make the welding easier, you can drill holes in the floor where the floor plates are, so you can lower the cage down thru the floor and do the top, then lift the cage upband weld the floor plates in, and the cage to the floor plates. You won't be able to go the whole thing that way but the hoop and front legs, and top cross bar that goes across the top of the windshield can be done. Rest you will have to do in the car. Hope that helps.... I'm sure others will give you some more ideas
Old 05-13-2012, 09:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If u cant tig weld that well I would just tack up the cage and have someone more skilled lay down the welds.
NHRA will scrutinize your welds to make sure u have adequete penetration and if your welds dont "look" the part u may have an issue passing. You also cant grind down the welds as far as I know.
I do "some" welding but I know when to call someone in for help.
Why take a chance?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Race your car!

I won't weld a cage in my own car period I know where my limitations are.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Race your car!

Everything else No issues, cage that could save my life, not doing it

Search this Thread