Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob needs some help with a huge project

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012 | 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Noob needs some help with a huge project

I picked up one of the hardcore racing T/A verts a week ago and have been working on it, and have a few HUGE questions.

When I got it, it was backhalved, but only had a minitub... So I would have had huge rake, if I ran a decent tire...

So, I made the decision to cut out the tubs and weld in new 40" tubs, dropping the car as low as I can. So a lot more metal is coming out..

My only real experience before this is installing the jig notched cage in my last T/A... Some exhaust work, etc... but definitely nothing near this level of difficulty.

This is a vert, so the b-pillar had layer after layer of steel supporting where the top mounted. I won't be running a rag top, so I want to cut a lot of that out.

Im really curious about how I should add strength back to this area...

Right now the quarters are just the skins, floating between the door and the rear bumper..

I figured that I would add an extra layer of metal along the wheel well opening, and that I would tie the b-pillar into the cage..

I mean, I'm just about finish with an engineering degree, so I have a pretty good understanding of what it takes to control the stresses... but how much stress with the rear quarters see, now that its backhalved? Do I need to string some 1-5/8 over there?

I've been trying to find a build thread, for ideas...

Is there a book, or online resource I can learn from?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by PUNISHER TA; 09-28-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-28-2012 | 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

??????
Old 09-28-2012 | 07:58 AM
TECH Regular

^^^^ What he said! What the Hell is a VERTS?

Post some pictures so someone knows what the heck you are talking about! I think I know but the way you write things is well...

Joe
Old 09-28-2012 | 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

convertible...
Old 09-28-2012 | 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StraightTimeStirrups
^^^^ What he said! What the Hell is a VERTS?

Post some pictures so someone knows what the heck you are talking about! I think I know but the way you write things is well...

Joe
https://ls1tech.com/acronyms.html

Doesn't sound like you are the kind of person I need input from... Thanks though.
Old 09-28-2012 | 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
https://ls1tech.com/acronyms.html

Doesn't sound like you are the kind of person I need input from... Thanks though.
You dont seem like the type of guy that gets it when someone is poking fun at you!

You are very correct that you will get no help from me because I am not going to offer you my 30+ years of Professional metal fabrication experience!

Joe
Old 09-28-2012 | 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StraightTimeStirrups
You dont seem like the type of guy that gets it when someone is poking fun at you!

You are very correct that you will get no help from me because I am not going to offer you my 30+ years of Professional metal fabrication experience!

Joe
Please tell me how I am supposed to decipher between some douche with a god complex and a joker, that is just wasting my time.

Oh, no... let me cry myself to sleep.

(All sarcasm, fyi)

No offense (maybe sarcasm)

(maybe this entire post is meant to mock you...)

**Heading to YB to get some real help.

Quick Reply: Noob needs some help with a huge project