Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a problem, opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got a problem, opinions needed

Last weekend I wasn't getting any circulation of the water from the water pump. I have 4 hoses running from each of the steam outlets on the corners of the heads to a distribution block with another hose then running to an outlet on the radiator. So, I undid all 4 of the steam outlets and from the upper radiator hose I filled it up with water until it started coming out of the steam outlets. All kinds of air came out. I thought that was a good thing. I go to start the motor and it runs for about 10 minutes and the water is circulating just fine. Shut the car off and go to restart it and I think the starter went bad on me. But that is not the real problem. I took a breaker bar and started to turn the engine over manually by the crank hub. All of a sudden I hear a gurgeling coming out by the #6 or #8 cylinder. So I took the plug out of the #8 cylinder and again cranked it over manually. When it got to the compression stroke, something liquid shot out of the cylinder. I had my future son in law then turn it over and not as much but still a good amount shot out and I smelled it hoping for fuel, but I think it was water. This engine has studs on it not bolts, so I went to ARP and found the torque spec was 80 ft lb of torque. I took a torque wrench and found the bolts around #8 were at like 60 ft lb. So I torqued them to 80. I took out the #6 spark plug and there was the faintest amount of rust on the plug. I'm thinking the worst of course, can somebody tell me if the removal of the air pocket with the water and filling up the block could have had something to do with this or do I continue thinking the worst. Thanks
Old 10-02-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Continue thinking....
I'd certainly NOT use the starter to "test" for the problem. Should any other cyls leak.. You could find the crank on the ground, and a rod hanging out.............
Old 10-02-2012, 06:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^

Liquid does not compress.....

Need to pull the heads off

I've seen engine parts fall out the bottom when cranking it over.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just bought one of those digital inspection camera lights and looked down inside at the top of the pistons on 6, 8 & 1. It looks like there is water droplets on 6 & 8. So that could be a problem on one side the motor one would think, no, its also in #1 also. This leads me to believe its got something to do with filling the block up with water and those steam outlets. I can't figure this out. My brain hurts! Any other ideas?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Head gaskets??? I don't think filling the motor up with those left off would hurt anything...i would be looking at a head gasket problem. Try doing a compression and leak down test on those cylinders and see what you come up with.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Open the throttle blade and look in the intake for water.... Pull valve covers and look for water comming in thru PCV..... Check oil for water..
Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Well....you already found some bolts/studs loose ....I'd pull the heads and throw on some new gaskets after checking out everything I could while the short block is still assembled.

After re-assembly I would do compression and leak down tests.

Worse case is you're out some head gaskets and time.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just did a leak down test on #8. I know both valves are closed, I can wiggle the rocker arms. I know #8 is a tdc. I put air pressure in the cylinder and all of the valves jerked and then air is coming out of the collector on the header. First off, why all of the rockers arms seem to jerk and tighten up, all across the entire head, second it sounds like I have a real problem. Can somebody provide a little guidance. THanks
Old 10-03-2012, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

3 people have suggested pulling the heads off because it sounds like you have a blown head gasket and possibly a bad valve ,probably from cranking it over with a cylinder full of water.

Pulling the heads is pretty easy
Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=reAuA...%3DreAuAbazfOc

Quick Reply: Got a problem, opinions needed