Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock ECM and external fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock ECM and external fuel pump

I mounted a new fuel cell in the back and over the winter I'm planning on running a whole new fuel system. Decided I'm going to go with a procharger and new motor in the future so I'm overbuilding the hell out of the fuel system for now magnafuel pump 8an feed and 6an return. My car is a 99 camaro can I use hp tuners to write out the fuel pump from the PCM?
Old 12-05-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if i remember correctly. the fuel pump is just there to turn on. its just being ran from a 12v and neg. the pcm dosnt do anything to control the pressure. that's the internal regulators job. dont know what you would be trying to do deleting PCM tables
Old 12-05-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just keep it with the PCM, still use HPtuners on on the car. So it primes with Key on like stock. keep it simple like that. Other EFI stuff is all a little different if you want to control it with that, but I dont think any are as nice as using the stock PCM. I know some the car will crank longer, the FP has to see oil pressure to engage (prime) so every time you start the car it cranks a little bit like something is wrong with the car starting slow.
Or putting on a manual switch has down sides too. But I think you your setup your gona like just keeping it stock style.Also if its gona be some BIG fuel system, or running e85 or something you need a big pump with BIG volume, street driving them for longer time (20+ mins) and low flow but alot of load on them and they don't last that long. So dont do some "better setup you can grow into" crazy for 2500whp and try to street drove it with 6-700whp, its not gona last.

But look into it more and see what you like.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

I the factory fuel pump fuse to activate the relay on my new fuel system. So it acts just like the factory set up. At key on, the fuel pump runs for a few seconds then shuts off. Car starts the same as it always has
Old 12-06-2012, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for all of the replies it is a big help. As for street use it will only see the mile to and from my work and other than that track onlY. i didnt realize the pcm had so little to do with the pump/pressure regulator so i guess I will just use the trigger wire from the factory relay to power on the new relays. One other quick question could one of the aeromotive fuel pump controllers to slow down the pump so it doesnt burn out if I ever had to drive it for a real street like cruise?

Quick Reply: Stock ECM and external fuel pump